Check out the patch notes for the v17 Precursor Update here: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/53778/precursor-update-v17

Display Names and Account Wide Social aspects

MONSTRMONSTR
MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,240
edited 6:21PM June 15, 2018 in Suggestions and Feedback
Since the Social aspects play a prominent roll in MS2 there should be features to help us keep connected to the people we meet. While also making it easier for them to know who we are. I think it's a waste for a player to re-add everyone on their other character's friend list and re-apply to a Guild where their other character is a member of. It's a waste of limited slots and makes playing new characters tedious. There should be Display names and Guild/friend list access account wide.

Display/Family names. Simply a singular unoriginal name for an entire account where people can refer to you the player. You can even make it a privacy option for those who would like to be called by their original character name. At this point, it's common for platforms to have this feature. A lot of them have a hidden number to identify who is who. MS2 can make use of their current original naming convention combined with a Display Name.

Give us the option to continue our friend list and give access to the Guild our other character is in. That way there's not so many overlapping slots in our Friend/Guild Member Lists.

Just my thoughts on how to improve things. The more options the better. Nexon can even make changing Display Names a microtransaction.

MurphysMittenzrxAgent_Dragonfury
  1. If we did had Display Names. How would you use them?33 votes
    1. As my usual in game name.
       52% (17 votes)
    2. As a Surname. The Character Name being your real identity.
       18% (6 votes)
    3. Depends if i feel stronger about my Character Name over my Display Name.
       30% (10 votes)

Comments

• smileycatsmileycat
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,110
    Yeah, it's more convenient to have a single friendlist account wide. But you should post this in the suggestion topic though.
    DrakooonDanDKMurphysMittenVixieVerloQuindinAgent_Dragonfury
  • GarapaxGarapax
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,185
    I'd imagine in today's climate there are so many ways to maintain a social climate ie discord, twitter, facebook and others that they wouldn't want to allocate too many resources at this time. Just my thought.
    MurphysMitten
  • HoIyHoIy
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 4,220
    I like the idea of having a universal name for the account. I don't like the idea of family names because it just makes the names look ugly for me.

It also ruin people who want to be creative with their name+class combination. That's just my opinion when I see games like Tree of Savior and BDO I just don't care about names at all after that point since it just looks like a mess on top of people's head.
    DrakooonAgent_Dragonfury
  • NyuraNyura
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 6,690
    edited 2:36AM June 16, 2018
    I dislike the idea of having account-wide names altogether, so I'm glad MS2 doesn't have that. I can understand why some people like having that and would want to have that, but for me, it creates additional hassle of trying to choose a non-taken name that somehow fits all of the IGNs you plan to use and doesn't look bad when put together (i.e. Aesthetically go together with your other name/title + general clutter above your character's head).

I've seen enough MMOs who use that feature and personally, and some of them did not implement it very well either. Anyways, overall I'm fine having just my one name and the future guild my characters will be in is, in my eyes, a sufficient enough reflection of identity (although I recognize it's not the same thing in many ways). I'd be fine with having an account-wide name if you'd have the option to hide it and/or choose which name to display.

I agree with having an account-bound friend list in some way or another, but I would not go as far as guilds as well, because maybe you'd like to be in different guilds with your different characters for whatever reason e.g. if you aren't sure what guild you wish to join yet and you decide to try out different ones as well.
    DanDK
  • DrakooonDrakooon
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 7,065
    This is perfect. I made a suggestion to having the ability to interchange servers.

The problem with interchanging servers is that it'll conflict with friends list and guilds (not really).

Runescape's workaround to interchangeable servers (is) to be very specific writing where a character is from (placed).

For example:
    NA guild: Warriors
    EU guild: Warriors
    SEA guild: Warriors

The above example would show this in a person's friend list:
    Warriors (NA)
    Warriors (East/West)
    Warriors (EU)
    Warriors (SEA)

---Drakooon on mobile
  • OlujiwanOlujiwan
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 7,450
    Forum Moderator
    Yeah, I really liked the system GW2 had. Account name was added to buddy list and guilds, characters all functioned under that particular name and were all in the same guild. In fact, you could even join several different guilds and just switch on the fly whenever you wanted to represent a different guild. They knew how to make it easy to be social.
    DrakooonMarkMMurphysMittenAlways_HidVerloQuindin
  • TamakiSakuraTamakiSakura
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 7,000
    edited 1:25PM June 16, 2018
    I wish MS2 was like FFXIV, where I can play all classes on one character. Then there wouldn't be this problem.
    DanDK
  • MarkMMarkM
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 11,670
    I second what @Olujiwan said, Guild Wars 2 probably did account-wide names and lists the best.

They worked a bit like how your name on Discord works, where you're allowed to pick any name you want and it's coupled with a randomly assigned number. That number would only show if your account name appeared on the same list as someone else with the same account name, to distinguish the two. And your account name would not display alongside your character's name while in-game.

And as Olujiwan mentioned, your account could join multiple guilds and choose one guild at a time to represent whenever you want.

So @Nyura, MapleStory 2 could make account-wide names and lists work if it followed the same system as Guild Wars 2, as you wouldn't have to pick a non-taken account name, your account name isn't displayed over your character alongside your character's name, and since your account can join multiple guilds, you can just rep whichever guild you want on whichever character and not have them all locked to a single guild.
    DrakooonTamakiSakura
  • CzareCzare
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,700
    you can technically do the family name thing by just setting your character pic to all the same image for each character you make
    DrakooonNyura
  • DrakooonDrakooon
    Czare wrote: »
    you can technically do the family name thing by just setting your character pic to all the same image for each character you make

Oo that's like an Easter egg. Awesome! Good recommendation @Czare !

(:

---Drakooon on mobile
  • NyuraNyura
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 6,690
    MarkM wrote: »
    I second what @Olujiwan said, Guild Wars 2 probably did account-wide names and lists the best.

They worked a bit like how your name on Discord works, where you're allowed to pick any name you want and it's coupled with a randomly assigned number. That number would only show if your account name appeared on the same list as someone else with the same account name, to distinguish the two. And your account name would not display alongside your character's name while in-game.

And as Olujiwan mentioned, your account could join multiple guilds and choose one guild at a time to represent whenever you want.

So @Nyura, MapleStory 2 could make account-wide names and lists work if it followed the same system as Guild Wars 2, as you wouldn't have to pick a non-taken account name, your account name isn't displayed over your character alongside your character's name, and since your account can join multiple guilds, you can just rep whichever guild you want on whichever character and not have them all locked to a single guild.

I see, that sounds like they put a lot of thought into it. I guess that's why they say it was handled the best way. I still can't say I am fond of the whole thing though...sounds a bit convoluted to me, especially joining multiple guilds... I just feel like it diminishes the value of joining a guild if it's reduced to a triviality, but that's just my own view. I can understand why some others would like that. I personally would sooner agree with @Czare regarding the profile pictures. They can indeed be set as the same thing throughout your entire account, and thus serve as your identity. Sounds like a far simpler and cleaner solution, albeit not without its flaws. Somebody could try to impersonate you by putting up the same picture as yours (iirc, you could save people's profile pictures in some way, I might remember wrong though).
    MarkM
  • DanDKDanDK
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 33,535
    I wish MS2 was like FFXIV, where I can play all classes on one character. Then there wouldn't be this problem.

If they could make the immersion work (shouldn't be hard because right now the classes have zero functional background story) it would be a nice solution because you're still making each separate character unique but for people that just want to keep progress in one place it's much easier to stay connected.

I remember one of the arguments against having this was because each class started with their own background story in the tutorial, but honestly, from what it looked like in the CBT, the entire thing could be revamped without anyone missing a thing. The class stories aren't even used again after the tutorial ends.
  • OdeeQOdeeQ
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,570
    This needs to be seen more.

The current buddy/friend system is just troublesome if your friends have lots of alts and you want to add them all. The friend menu itself isn't very condensed due to the massive display pictures so if you add too many people, it can be a hassle to navigate it.

Account friend is very much needed, and to identify the account, instead of a family surname, an account portrait could be used (as someone said above) with a special number ID (like how Blizzard/GW2 accounts work).

I think the best system to imitate would be Guildwars2's system.
    MarkM
  • DrakooonDrakooon
    "...being your real identity" o God the horror in that suggestion is real.

I wish I could give my real identity yes. Good.

I dont want to right now because it doesn't make sense when the internet is still a beta stage of a product.
    fallgif.gif

---Drakooon on mobile
  • AnOldGeezerAnOldGeezer
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,740
    please, no..
    :(
  • TokiTokiTokiToki
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,960
    edited 8:47PM June 26, 2018
    I didn't read past the OP. I want account-wide buddy list and not character-bound. Maple 1 has account buddy lists, idk why that wasn't transferred over.

That and missing buddy chat were my two biggest social-related complaints about cbt
  • VerloVerlo
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,000
    edited 3:15AM July 5, 2018
    Maybe there can be a cooldown or some sort of penalty so it is not abused for daily gains?

I wish more MMORPGS did this nowadays. It just makes more sense to me at least.

Why do we have to be tied down to 1 group? There should be more flexibility within reason to not negatively impact the community and individuals.
  • VerloVerlo
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,000
    +1 for account-wide name or server-wide friends list please!