Check out the patch notes for the v19 Winter Mischief update here: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/55464/winter-mischief-v19

CBT2 in July will the hype die?

GarapaxGarapax
MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,185
Posts: 60
Member
in General Chat
Being hot off the heels of the first CBT, i feel like there was a resurgence of hype as people began to prepare for Launch. When they announced a second CBT the worry was A: when is it and B:what does that mean for a launch date. Now we are confirmed for a July CBT which likely means an August launch at the earliest. I've spoken to some involved with CBT1 (sadly i was not) and they expressed a disappointed feeling as they are not wishing to participate in CBT2 to have their data wiped again just do it for a third time at. While those of us who are still hoping for their first chance with CBT2, i can help but ask Are the intervals of the CBTs and Launch going to hurt the community. I might be overthinking it but that's all i can do at the moment. In the climate that most MMO launches are in it is vital to ride that peak hype up to launch in order to create a strong player base as with a strong player base comes longevity and that's what im hoping for most.

Thoughts?

Comments

  • kinsuyakinsuya
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,515
    Posts: 95
    Member
    edited 11:20AM June 15, 2018
    Takes place in July and with specialized servers? Woooah.
  • PinchPinch
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,625
    Posts: 76
    Member
    edited 11:56AM June 15, 2018
    I honestly don't like how they're planning on splitting the NA server into 2 separate servers..
    Its just going to split the community up even more, a global server shouldn't be aiming to split the community up into so many regions
    Keeping the NA region the way it is would be better..
    i mean they'll also be splitting up the friendships and guilds formed from CBT1, i enjoyed the first CBT and really hope the NA server stays the same..
    After a year or two(?).. Im not sure how long it will take, but the population will get smaller, and eventually you'll want to merge the east and west NA servers together.. so wouln't it be better to keep it as 1 in the first place? I think it would > <

    anyways, nexon if you see this please keep the NA server as one~ thank you
    CheerBakaAnikiTheChaosLegendUmiSonodaFanAkuma524tkmiseremelatoninlollosporcoLa3elleMynameisme9820and 2 others.
  • NyuraNyura
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 6,690
    Posts: 296
    Member
    Wellp, we got news sooner than expected. I feel more positive after this blog update, that they are actually trying to listen to our questions and whatnot.

    While it seems quite far away that CBT2 will be within July (it could even be end of July), since that means launch will be pushed close to Fall, I find it promising that they are trying to change things in our version based on our feedback that we don't feel the same way about things as the Korean or Chinese playerbase. I like that the blog mentions they adjusted exp and stuff to balance the Epic and sideWorld Quests' relevance. I do still have some questions and concerns about the whole level progression (because it's not a given that all the issues are solved via that claim), but I'll wait for CBT2 before discussing those further.

    I can foresee from now that the NA server split will not be received positively, because splitting the community even further is a surefire way to bring about the demise of your game sooner rather than later.
    NekkoalaCheerTheChaosLegendWolfblaideChalkiWyllowisptkmisereLa3elle
  • MushroomMurderMushroomMurder
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,760
    Posts: 105
    Member
    One of the biggest worries that I have with GMS2 is that there will be a very small player base. Splitting up the NA server would only exacerbate that problem. I am hoping that they reconsider this decision before the official launch.
  • ShadowsBeneaShadowsBenea
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,880
    Posts: 457
    Member
    I hope the hype doesn't.
    GarapaxFaelight
  • GarapaxGarapax
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,185
    Posts: 60
    Member
    @ShadowsBenea im with you there. I want this game to last for years!
    DanDK
  • DanDKDanDK
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 33,535
    Posts: 2,569
    Member
    edited 12:24PM June 15, 2018
    Well, at this point I'm starting to think that the current hype was pretty much impossible to keep alive. If they had wanted to utilize the hype, they should've launched shortly after CBT, and they long gave up on that. However, I think this was a very clever sacrifice. Launching immediately following the CBT state would have destroyed the game for good. Instead, by now it's pretty apparent that the hype is dying anyway, so the correct move is to take their time and ensure that the game will become as good as possible before pushing for a final release - at which point they can simply generate some new hype. It looks like this is the strategy they're going for, and it's commendable. If they improve the quality of the game - it will do wonders for the longevity that the original hype never could. (Hype dies quickly as people get bored and leave - a great game, on the other hand, draws more people in.)

    As some people have theorized though, this does mean that they might have to postpone release a bit since there's no way they can make it for summer holidays at the current rate, which means they might instead want to wait until some other similar opportunity.
    MarkMLindelyTamakiSakuraFaelightAlzackNOOBYIAMNyuraDrakooonNilremBakaAnikiand 8 others.
  • PotterPotter
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 200
    Posts: 2
    Member
    I have friends from all over the world that I want to play with when the game is released (my old guildies from MS1).
    Will we be able to play together with the split servers?
  • GarapaxGarapax
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,185
    Posts: 60
    Member
    DanDK wrote: »
    Well, at this point I'm starting to think that the current hype was pretty much impossible to keep alive. If they had wanted to utilize the hype, they should've launched shortly after CBT, and they long gave up on that. However, I think this was a very clever sacrifice. Launching immediately following the CBT state would have destroyed the game for good. Instead, by now it's pretty apparent that the hype is dying anyway, so the correct move is to take their time and ensure that the game will become as good as possible before pushing for a final release - at which point they can simply generate some new hype. It looks like this is the strategy they're going for, and it's commendable. If they improve the quality of the game - it will do wonders for the longevity that the original hype never could. (Hype dies quickly as people get bored and leave - a great game, on the other hand, draws more people in.)

    As some people have theorized though, this does mean that they might have to postpone release a bit since there's no way they can make it for summer holidays at the current rate, which means they might instead want to wait until some other similar opportunity.

    Let's just hope its not Christmas Season 2018 lol.
    Drakooon
  • MarkMMarkM
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 11,670
    Posts: 397
    Member
    DanDK makes some strong points. I also want to add that it's not hard to generate new hype, as he mentioned.

    Half-Life 2 was released in 2004 -- that's a difference of 14 years -- but I bet that, despite all the time that has passed, if Half-Life 3 was announced tomorrow there would definitely be a lot of hype.

    So even if it's a few months before we get word of official launch, I'm sure that the mere announcement of a launch date should be enough to bring the hype back.
    GarapaxFaelightDanDKNyuraDrakooonBakaAnikitkmisere
  • TamakiSakuraTamakiSakura
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 7,000
    Posts: 461
    Member
    I'd rather have a good game with a long life than a hype bomb like Bless.
    DanDKNOOBYIAMDrakooonBakaAnikitkmisere
  • GarapaxGarapax
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,185
    Posts: 60
    Member
    @TamakiSakura True there absolutely has to be a balance between quality at release and hype. But one had washes the other, there has to be a hype to get that initial hump if the hype strays off to far then the initial player base could end of too small to attract new players. Resulting in poor longevity.
    DanDKDrakooontkmisere
  • DanDKDanDK
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 33,535
    Posts: 2,569
    Member
    I expect they have tried to estimate reasonable numbers for the population before moving ahead with the NA split, but I hope the decision is not based on a whim since we've only had CBT and it must be hard to know exactly how many people are going to be where. Unless they're fairly sure that there are definitely going to be enough players everywhere.
    Friends are still free to coordinate joining the same server. Since the CBT NA server most likely was on either coast already, the amount of options have only increased, not decreased. The real test is whether people are now willing to accept worse ping to join friends when previously they had no choice at all.
    As for population, I think the EU population was roughly half the size of the NA server during CBT, and we were doing okay, so I don't think either server will be underpopulated in general.

    The Oceania server is very welcome though. Specifically the Australian playerbase deserved to be able to actually play the game. Hopefully they'll be able to sustain the server on their own so it won't get removed again.
    Potter wrote: »
    I have friends from all over the world that I want to play with when the game is released (my old guildies from MS1).
    Will we be able to play together with the split servers?

    Only if you convince everyone to join the same one.
    Nyura
  • TamakiSakuraTamakiSakura
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 7,000
    Posts: 461
    Member
    Since they're listening to us on other things, I suspect that servers won't end up split by coast.
  • DanDKDanDK
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 33,535
    Posts: 2,569
    Member
    Garapax wrote: »
    @TamakiSakura True there absolutely has to be a balance between quality at release and hype. But one had washes the other, there has to be a hype to get that initial hump if the hype strays off to far then the initial player base could end of too small to attract new players. Resulting in poor longevity.

    Indeed, we have to assume that there will still be enough interest for a decent take-off by the time of the final release. I think odds should be good though.
    GarapaxDrakooon
  • mmviimmvii
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 4,995
    Posts: 661
    Member
    Splits a crazy Idea tbh but it's good to hear from them again. Waiting til July ain't great but at least we know now when it will be.
  • MushroomMurderMushroomMurder
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,760
    Posts: 105
    Member
    I think the hype will just be revitalized once the official launch is announced. Kingdom Hearts 2 came out in 2005. Kingdom Hearts 3 has a January 2019 release date and the hype is stronger than ever. Yes, the hype died in between, but we saw a resurgence once the official trailers came out.
    MarkMkinsuyaTamakiSakura
  • LeharyLehary
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,330
    Posts: 63
    Member
    Even though I haven't played, I'm not too sure how to feel about the server being split up. I have already made a few friends and was ready to play with them. I'm more than certain a majority of them are all West Coast. I'll probably just join that server regardless though. I'd rather be with those people than worry about my ping.

    I hear all the concerns, and it's all understandable. I was hoping to get into game sooner. Maybe someone with more knowledge of the other game versions could help me out though. What are some of the major differences between the Chinese and Korean versions compared to here so far? I'm just curious if the changes being made here are significant enough to be noticed, and if they're worth the time being put into the later release date. Thanks!

    I'm still excited to get in game though. July can't come soon enough now.
  • DanDKDanDK
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 33,535
    Posts: 2,569
    Member
    Lehary wrote: »
    I hear all the concerns, and it's all understandable. I was hoping to get into game sooner. Maybe someone with more knowledge of the other game versions could help me out though. What are some of the major differences between the Chinese and Korean versions compared to here so far? I'm just curious if the changes being made here are significant enough to be noticed, and if they're worth the time being put into the later release date. Thanks!

    I'm still excited to get in game though. July can't come soon enough now.

    Did you get accepted into CBT2 yet? If not, best of luck with it.

    The first CBT was basically a more-or-less direct copy of the Chinese/Korean versions, or so I'm told. They left some stuff to be extremely vague such as whether they buffed the experience gains and by how much (they still refuse to confirm or deny anything despite having been asked about this since CBT). The first CBT was full of flaws, which is evident by the sheer size of the content in the Bug Reporting section and many, many gameplay issues that were hopefully addressed in much of the post-CBT feedback seeing as they are now focusing some time on improving things. (The sad thing is, of course, that many of these flaws come directly from the current Chinese/Korean versions which are the newest, meaning that a lot of content made the game worse instead of better.)

    Right now they haven't told us too much about the changes except the stuff about the quests as you've read on their blog posts. There are still many potential things to improve upon such as general progression, combat, skills, dungeons, items, difficulty etc. Assuming they will be using this time to fix these things, it's definitely going to be worth the time.
    LeharyRielysian
  • ChillBearChillBear
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 5,695
    Posts: 292
    Member
    Hype - don't worry about it. There's a lot of hype for this game whether people realise it or not. There's a lot of big streamers that are keeping this game on their radar. But streamers aren't the point.

    I feel like a lot of games fall flat when they're overhyped. If anything, letting the hype die down so they can focus on making a more high quality product is preferable. As much as I'd love to jump into the game today I appreciate them taking their time to improve it based on our feedback. That fact alone should be building up hope and gradual hype.
    BakaAniki