Please do not send inquiries to the Forum Moderators and Community Manager Cuddles regarding forum name changes. Exceptions are only made if the forum name violates the CoC. Thank you for understanding.

World questing and monetisation

JetUppercutJetUppercut
Maplestory 2 Rep: 5,535
edited 7:00AM June 10, 2018 in Suggestions and Feedback
Another thread, this time about fixing the not so open, not so world of MS2. As well as some ideas for microtransactions and for the Founder's packs. Just going down the list of things.

Bringing back Questing

Maplestory 2 has a pretty big map, with a lot of stuff up in said maps. Except, if you played the game in the CBT you'd quickly have realised that 100% of the maps that aren't major hubs in this game have basically no reason at all to exist. A little bit of a problem when you want to extend the longevity of your game and make money from it, since there's a mountain of content just sitting there doing nothing. Leveling up is obviously not the main driving force behind this game either, so bringing the quests back also means they need to fill a niche for something that doesn't exist within the game.

The basic premise of this idea is to bring back all those old zone quests that got killed off with the story quest update. Except, not for leveling purposes, but rather as daily quests. Fitting quests from each map would be selected, then placed into a daily rotation where people could complete them for progression rewards and the usual scaling EXP/Mesos. However, this could also tie-in with Exploration. Because many of the maps would have their own quests, these quests could be logged in a similar way to the exploration goals. The maps with daily quests would have '?' Icons and the ones you complete would be filled in. As you complete the daily quests each day you'd gain quest point rewards, similar to the exploration stars. There could even be Trophies for completing the quests as well. Would be something nice for the completionists and questers out there to chase after, since the stuff currently in the game for them lacks some substance.

Depending on the number of available quests and their complexity, the rotation could be anywhere from one to three different daily quests you could complete. This would give people an incentive to go to those maps for the rewards. I was also thinking that some of those lower leveled area bosses could be made into Weekly Quests, where they spawn with hugely increased stats for the week and killing them grants really good rewards. Nothing wrong with recycling content like that, especially when it's not even being used for anything right now anyway.
Could even have daily shadowlands quests to bring people into those PvP zones and maybe liven them up. I know there's meant to be a quest chain there, but I didn't see it during the CBT. Saw the quest items dropping from the enemies though, so it's weird the quests weren't there.

With an incentive like this to go around to different maps, even if it's only once a day, any improvements to the Exploration goals or rewards would be pretty noticeable, since people would at least be moving around the game world to do the quests and might explore along the way. It's also a nice way to use that old content you had to scrap. I'm sure there had to be some good stuff in there you didn't really want to get rid of or shove down a well.

Monetisation

A few ideas I had, one is something I thought might actually be great and the other one is sort of an ideal scenario I feel for how the Founder's packs should work.

First idea, Prestige Levels reminded me a lot of the Battle Pass trend I've seen jump into popularity over the last year or so. I didn't really make that connection until a day or so ago just thinking about it, but it makes a lot of sense, honestly. The game already has that built-in daily cap of Prestige EXP, there's a lot of stuff to do in game to earn said exp and there's a 100 rank progression already in place.
All they'd need to do is separate the rewards into free and paid, give away basic stuff for free, good stuff behind that battle pass paywall and let people unlock them at any point. Reset the Prestige Levels at the end of the 'Season' to start a new Battle Pass.
Could put sort of 'timed exclusive' cosmetics, mounts and other stuff in there for people to grab, then later release them on the cash shop. Maybe Titles and other things as well. I didn't think of how they could handle it or what rewards they could give away, that depends purely on the monetisation model they end up choosing.
I just thought this might be a clever way to jump on the Battle Pass train, seeing as the feature is practically already in the game, just for free and not time-limited.
Seems popular enough in the other games I've seen them in, it's kind of a value option for people who play the game. You spend a small amount up front and as long as you consistently play the game you get a decent amount of loot at the end of the pass progression for your trouble. Perfectly reasonable.

Founder's packs are something else completely. This is going to be your first foray into monetising MS2. Nobody has any faith in Nexon that you won't screw this up somehow. If you're hell bent on doing this, at least prove them wrong by not being overzealous with the packs. No multiple tiers or $500 packs, no P2W stuff, no Exclusive stuff. Offer people who buy early the option of getting into the CBT and bonus Merits, maybe an Exclusive Founder Title or something but everything else, whatever you plan on adding in there, move it over to a DLC pack once the game is released for a similar price.
I'm totally fine with people buying into the game early getting more bang for their buck, but I think it's just plain unfair to lock people out of getting items for an F2P game before they've even had a chance to play it. I don't like it and I never have. This isn't like the supporter packs PoE had where the game was F2P and then you could buy those if you wanted to support the game and get exclusive stuff. This isn't even like Warframe's founder's packs because that game was F2P at the time as well. This is a free game asking for money before it's out yet, asking people to pay to play it if they didn't win a lottery. It's insanely shady. Please reconsider on the idea or just make them as fair and as honest as possible. Otherwise any faith you've built up within the community that this game won't be like your other games will burn up faster than a fart in a crematorium.
Just saying.

That's it for this one. Not as in-depth as the other threads but when you're talking about stuff that relies on content you haven't really seen and hasn't been in the game for years as well as monetisation stuff that isn't in the game yet and has only been vaguely alluded to, it's kind of hard to do that.
No tl;dr again either. If you can't read why are you on a forum?
DanDKJinzlerMarkMBedDave

Comments

• DanDKDanDK
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 33,505
    Been looking forward to another one of your in-depth suggestion threads! I really hope that Nexon will read at least some of it after all the effort you've put together here (I sincerely hope you've forwarded copies of this in the other surveys and feedback sections on the forum where they're also likely to be noticed).

For questing, I completely applaud your suggestion but keeping in mind that MS2 'questing' (and dungeons, and raids, etc.) so far consists of nothing but killing things. It'd be nice if they could get inspired from their Exploration Goals and at least spice things up a little bit by adding.. different objectives. Bonus points if those objectives actually felt immersive regarding the location you were currently in, maybe even go as far as to design some additional features for some maps just to make them stand out and become a bit more lively. Killing monsters don't have to be the solution for everything.

As for monetisation, I really am not a big fan of the Battle Pass idea in general. I feel like it kind of demotes games to do time-based rotations of menial tasks (more killing?) for unlocking things, meaning it's going to feel like you not only have to grind things, but you have to grind things each season or you'll miss out on potential rewards forever. I mean, I like the general idea of tiered rewards but even if they have to be unlocked it still sounds like P2W to me. For the same effort, the people who pay money are getting the superior gear. Of course I suppose it's possible to balance it better than that. If the paid option required more effort at least, that would be one way to improve on the idea, and if the things you had to do were more diverse than just killing mobs, I can see it have potential. However, how I understand it, it's a wrapper around existing mechanics. Right now, I think the game needs to focus on supporting decent mechanics in the first place. For example, if we improve the general quality of quests, exploration, combat, dungeons and so on, it'll be much easier to design a Battle Pass that utilizes these possibilities.

I don't have any comments on Founder's Packs right now except let's hear what's in them first. I agree with your general suggestions to Nexon though (doubt they'll take them into account).
    JetUppercut
  • JetUppercutJetUppercut
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 5,535
    DanDK wrote: »
    For questing, I completely applaud your suggestion but keeping in mind that MS2 'questing' (and dungeons, and raids, etc.) so far consists of nothing but killing things. It'd be nice if they could get inspired from their Exploration Goals and at least spice things up a little bit by adding.. different objectives. Bonus points if those objectives actually felt immersive regarding the location you were currently in, maybe even go as far as to design some additional features for some maps just to make them stand out and become a bit more lively. Killing monsters don't have to be the solution for everything.

There were some strings left in the game you could mess about with, moveable objects, activateable levers and hidden boss areas, so the quests aren't all kill 50 boars and collect 10 boar asses. I'd very much like to see the quests designed a bit better than standard MMORPG fare which is why I suggested they cut down the quests to only the best ones and just have a rotation, but with the current producer blog I think it'd probably be a better idea to play through the quests and let them know which ones we like, so they know what quests to add in the future and what stuff to avoid. It's the best compromise we've got.
    DanDK wrote: »
    As for monetisation, I really am not a big fan of the Battle Pass idea in general. I feel like it kind of demotes games to do time-based rotations of menial tasks (more killing?) for unlocking things, meaning it's going to feel like you not only have to grind things, but you have to grind things each season or you'll miss out on potential rewards forever. I mean, I like the general idea of tiered rewards but even if they have to be unlocked it still sounds like P2W to me. For the same effort, the people who pay money are getting the superior gear. Of course I suppose it's possible to balance it better than that. If the paid option required more effort at least, that would be one way to improve on the idea, and if the things you had to do were more diverse than just killing mobs, I can see it have potential. However, how I understand it, it's a wrapper around existing mechanics. Right now, I think the game needs to focus on supporting decent mechanics in the first place. For example, if we improve the general quality of quests, exploration, combat, dungeons and so on, it'll be much easier to design a Battle Pass that utilizes these possibilities.

Battle Passes are just a level-up ranking system. You can gain Prestige EXP from doing anything. As long as you play the game you'll get there eventually. And if you don't, I think the best compromise is to add some of the stuff to the cash shop. The battle pass is meant to represent value for money in return for continuously and consistently playing a game, not exclusivity and forced grinding. Though having some exclusives is fine. There's plenty of ways to modify the system to make it not seem like a grind as well. Just trying to offer up some alternatives to that traditional kMMO F2P model that doesn't really work too well in the west.
    DanDK