Check out the patch notes for the v18 Kritias Expansion here: http://forums.maplestory2.nexon.net/discussion/45974

[Edit] I mean a hunter polearm class.

OvernOvern
MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,005
edited 3:23PM May 21, 2018 in Classes
I think one of my favourite weapons would have to be polearms, particularly ones which you can swing.. or both swing and thrust with. I am a bit less of a fan of spears but perhaps I just like a bit of weight behind the blade.

I never really got to play Aran on Maplestory either, I remember it was a limited time character and my brother ended up making one instead.. resulting in a rather unfair moment where he had a level 90+ Aran.. and I was stuck with a level 40-ish Evan with stats so bad I couldn't even use him.. which was why he never leveled up very high.

But yeah.. anyway, I think some sort of polearm character.. perhaps a "hunter" or some other sort of thing would be nice to see, a nice variety of close to mid-ranged attacks and perhaps even a beast companion to help out.

[Edit]
For those who misunderstood my original first post, and the title concerning it.. I tend to ramble on. Scroll down a bit for a sort of reply rant to people who thought I actually wanted an Aran-like Warrior class because I mistakenly put it in the title and mentioned it in my post. No.. go down, and I actually describe what I meant. Sorry about the rant, I've had a rough time irl.
OneConfusedMilletian

Comments

• DrYoshiyahuDrYoshiyahu
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 9,195
    I just hope they don't go down the MS1 route of making character classes just a single person. It's pretty hard to get into the RP part of the MMORPG when there are two Arans in the party. Classes should be just that: classes. Groups. Collectives. It's weird enough playing a character called 'Aran' if you're character is called 'xx_DexlessSlayer_xx', but when there's thousands of little Arans all running around the map on day one, but there's only one Aran in the storyline, you've totally killed the player's suspension of disbelief.
    DanDKAwxisHeimerdingerOneConfusedMilletian
  • ZyconZycon
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 905
    I just hope they don't go down the MS1 route of making character classes just a single person. It's pretty hard to get into the RP part of the MMORPG when there are two Arans in the party. Classes should be just that: classes. Groups. Collectives. It's weird enough playing a character called 'Aran' if you're character is called 'xx_DexlessSlayer_xx', but when there's thousands of little Arans all running around the map on day one, but there's only one Aran in the storyline, you've totally killed the player's suspension of disbelief.

Made me chuckle.

Too OP... We don't even have spears yet so I'd just be happy if they go down a type of job advancement route. Maybe then we could see something like that.
    DrYoshiyahuDanDKTomoaki
  • DrYoshiyahuDrYoshiyahu
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 9,195
    Zycon wrote: »
    We don't even have spears yet

To touch on this further, Warriors already have three classes and the rest have two. I'd like to see another Mage, Ranger, Rogue, and Martial Artist before a fourth Warrior.

They could make a spear class, a mace class, and an axe class, but I don't want to see MS2 go down the same road as MS1 and end up with twelve Warriors, eleven Mages, and just five Rangers.
  • AlylioAlylio
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,505
    Isn't Nexon EU/NA just publishing whatever they get from Nexon Korea?
    I highly doubt they are allowed to create their own class(es).
  • OvernOvern
    edited 3:24PM May 21, 2018
    I said "class like aran" i.e: NOT A BLOODLY WARRIOR THAT IS FLIPPING OP AS HECK AND IS A SINGLE CHARACTER!

I mean a sort of hunter class that wears light or leather armor, has high speed in combat that attacks with various swings, thrusts and such with a polearm weapon.. WITH NO COMBO COUNTER BS. Instead of taking the title by face value, I'll just outright state now what I mean.

What I care about most is the weapon, the polearm. It doesn't have to be a warrior class, could be along the route of the ranger group seeing as I mentioned an animal.. using mostly dex to swiftly swing around a long weapon for multiple medium or low tick damage or single hit high damage.. or even medium wide AoE. I never once mentioned that I hoped it'd be a single character, that was always stupid since it absolutely ruined any roleplay ability with the character and made it mean so much less compared to any of the explorer or other classes in Maplestory.

Also, the concept of "spears & polearms (I don't get why I have to separate these)" being strictly warrior weapons bugs me since the idea came from MS1. Sure majority of polearms were used for war and battle, even darker things. But Spears in particular, the pole weapons used for poking were also used for hunting animals and fishing.. sorta. Maybe you wouldn't use some big fancy battle lance for that, but a long pointy stick was sorta perfect for that. Going down the route of "Hunter/Forager"; the class would have a few actually strong attacks that kept it anchored in place, many attacks which included movement such as going forward or back, a few heavy knockback moves to open up space and either some kind of hiding/escape ability or wound mending. Jobs could go down the route of becoming in tune with plants or animals. The route of plants would have bind attacks, things that sapped HP or MP and have a little forest fairy companion. The route of Animals would probably include long ranged throwing, status infliction like poison or slowing and have a wolf pup companion.

No Dragoon/Spear warrior side crap, the class would intentionally made to get away from that. A hunter that stalks it's prey.. perhaps similar to Assassin or Thief?
  • OvernOvern
    Overn wrote: »
    I said "class like aran" i.e: NOT A BLOODLY WARRIOR THAT IS FLIPPING OP AS HECK AND IS A SINGLE CHARACTER!

Guess that's not anything like Aran at all. Probably should've called it.. "Hunter class that uses Polearms"

• DewyChewyDewyChewy
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,905
    Gotta be the next Tiger/Fangblade.
  • IlluminiIllumini
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 300
    I really like this idea! I remember polearms and spears would be able to be wielded by thieves and bowmen in MS1 (and yes technically in MS1 there was like one polearm everyone could use but a spear is a type of polearm) but none of them could actually use it. I just kept thinking, "wouldn't it be cool if bowmen and thieves could use these weapons with their skills?" . Honestly, I always thought a polearm/ spear hunter type class would use something like javelins and throw them at their enemies, but going down the speedy route with polearms could be cool since they are heavy weapons meaning that in order to attack fast the player would have to use momentum, maybe linking skills and each time they successfully link skills they could get a movement speed and attack speed buff ( I just realized how much that sounded like Aran). But the layout of MS2 would be able to support this kind of class better since it's 3D and we could end up with a polearm user who dashes around the map spinning and swinging.
  • HeimerdingerHeimerdinger
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,870

but then how am i going to be joddy?
  • BladeSoul69BladeSoul69
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,315
    We do need more Tanks/Healers. So a Spearmaster class could work as a tank.