Archer Low Ranger Build

ReinDarlingReinDarling
Maplestory 2 Rep: 740
edited 3:39PM May 20, 2018 in Archer
Hello, I really enjoyed Archer's low range skills, but I hated those long range ones, so I would like to build a "melee" build for Archer that is as good as ranged.
What points do you recommend to distribute in attributes?
Which skills do you think best focus? (If they have a build already formed I also accept)
What do you prefer to focus on the status of the equipment? (Crit, ASPD, etc.)

Sorry for English, I'm from server SA and I made the topic with the little that I know of English + google translate.

jaTmHi9.png

Comments

• DrYoshiyahuDrYoshiyahu
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 7,525
    Forum Moderator
    edited 10:24PM May 18, 2018
    Archers only have one close range skill: Bow Swing. Everything else is long ranged. You've got to be level 40 just to unlock Bow Swing, and it has a 6-second cooldown, so it's basically impossible to make a melee Archer. If you did, the stats wouldn't matter. You should put all your AP into Dexterity regardless of your skill build.
  • ReinDarlingReinDarling
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 740
    Archers only have one close range skill: Bow Swing. Everything else is long ranged. You've got to be level 40 just to unlock Bow Swing, and it has a 6-second cooldown, so it's basically impossible to make a melee Archer. If you did, the stats wouldn't matter. You should put all your AP into Dexterity regardless of your skill build.

"Melee" I say focused on beating closely, not necessarily beating with hands, it is because the default preset of low range to the Archer has the name of "melee preset"

These skills here:
    Multi_Shot.pngIce_Arrow.pngEvasion_Shot.png
  • DanDKDanDK
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 25,545
    Also you should probably go to Archer subforum. :)
  • DrYoshiyahuDrYoshiyahu
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 7,525
    Forum Moderator
    The "melee" build the game offers is not a build that you're supposed to use to fight enemies in their face, it's a build that focuses entirely on slowing down your enemies and backing up quickly so that if you are close to an enemy, you can get away as quickly as possible. Using those three abilities, you're going to end up very far away from your enemy very quickly. It's a build designed to help you get to long range, not to keep you in close range.

It's a very weak build though, because Arrow Barrage and Ice Arrow do effectively the same thing, but one is for PvE and one is for PvP. Here's why: Ice Arrow slows by 4% every stack for ten stacks, but before level 50, during the epic questline, Archers are mostly fighting either enemies that die before you hit them ten times, or bosses that are immune to crowd control. Arrow Barrage just simply does more damage.

As for Evasive Salvo, I'll never recommend people level it over the priority of leveling other damaging abilities such as Arrow Rain and Screwdriver Shot, because it's just an escape tool, and no one is seriously using it to deal damage, not with the low numbers it puts out. It doesn't matter how much you level Evasive Salvo, it's not going to make your backflip any longer. Just as leveling Ice Arrow doesn't make the crowd control any stronger.

If you want a build that has these tools, you can put one point into Ice Arrow and one point into Evasive Salvo and achieve the same results. There's no reason to increase those skills past level 1 until well after level 50, no matter what kind of build you're looking for. You can look for a skill build in my guide, but there's none that focus on those three skills in tandom.

I'm sorry if you find that answer disappointing, but like I said, all of the Archer skills except Bow Swing are long range, both by definition and in practice. It doesn't really matter whether you're close or far away, you're going to be using all of the same skills, it's just that in close range, you're not getting the benefit from Snipe, so you're going to struggle to maintain your spirit, and you're going to take more damage, so you'll probably die more often and use more potions. You're just going to be making it unnecessarily harder for yourself.

Archers are extremely vulnerable, and the thing that makes them so difficult to play is the fact that you need to constantly keep your distance from enemies or you're going to die. That's why they were designed with an entirely long-range kit, and were given those three skills to help you keep your distance.
  • lolzfaillolzfail
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,085
    edited 10:17AM May 21, 2018
    I found the idea of a melee archer amusing, so I did some testing. The following is what I believe to be the core build on a melee archer:

3 arrow stream
    5 arrow barrage
    5 evasive salvo
    3+ rapid shot
    1+ agile archer
    1+ eagle
    10(max) ice arrow
    10(max) arrow rain

An analysis of each individual skill is below:
    3 arrow stream for unlocking rapid shot for unlocking arrow rain. Do not add more. It scales poorly and realistically you won't ever run out of sp with a melee build.

5 arrow barrage to unlock arrow rain. Do not add more than that. It scales by 10/15% a level(15 for 3rd hit) which is low. And also every 3rd hit you jump back. As a melee archer this only serves to make you look cowardly and people will laugh at you.

5 evasive salvo to unlock ice arrow. Do not add more. It scales poorly, and you fly backwards every time you use it, in which case you will need to move forward to continue your melee assault, and movement is a waste of dps. Use it only to dodge things, and to crit if you are frustrated at your bronze eagle not appearing.

3 rapid shot for unlocking arrow rain. It drains sp too fast in melee range for you to use it as your main dps skill. You can raise it to 8 to unlock screwdriver shot.

At least 1 agile archer since it's already unlocked by your main dps skill, and is the best use of sp on a passive skill after level 1 bronze eagle.

1 bronze eagle cos 4.4% dex who doesn't want it. You can add to 7 to unlock eagle claw.

Max ice arrow as it is your main dps skill. Rapid shot makes you run out of sp in like 10 seconds max when you are in melee range, so it is out of the question. Ice arrow may seem weak with its low damage and low scaling, BUT in melee range you can hit all 3 arrows on the same target, thus doing triple the damage. This skill does everything arrow barrage does, but better. Also you take forever to run out of sp.

Max arrow rain cos 1320% damage every 13 seconds for no charge time since you are in melee range. Instant cast arrow storm is one great advantage a melee build has over its ranged counterpart, as you do not waste half a second charging it, and you can macro it since macros do not charge skills.

Now that the core skills are covered, let's look at the other skills:

Eagle's majesty: useless
    Sharp eyes: useless if solo, good in party since you won't be doing optimal dps anyway, so might as well buff your team mates while pretending to be useful.
    Conditioning: Ok at level 1, after level 1 agile archer is always a better use of sp.
    Precision shooter: Level 1 is good for the 1% attack speed. Any higher should only be taken if you have maxed screwdriver shot.

Screwdriver shot: Requires 8 rapid shot, but is definitely worth it. With at least 1 level in precision shooter, its damage is almost as good as its middle charge. It eventually overtakes the middle charge but that level of precision shooter is not available at level 50. Also, its damage scales better than bow swing on frozen enemies but it has slightly more than twice the cooldown of bow swing. At near max levels of precision shooter screwdriver shot is definitely better than bow swing, but we cannot achieve such levels yet.

Bow swing: Builds naturally from the ice arrow path. Most convenient attack to add, and it has extra damage on frozen enemies, counted as a separate hit, so 1 more chance to crit. It knocks enemies away though so you should not try to use it on normal mobs.

Eagle claw: Requires 6 sp to be wasted on getting bronze eagle past level 1. Its damage and DoT are nice, but do remember it makes your eagle disappear, so you can only use it every 18 seconds at most. I wouldn't recommend it.

Now let's move on to the builds I tried:

(A)Screwdriver build:
    core build
    8 rapid shot
    max screwdriver
    1 ~ 10 precision shooter
    1 conditioning
    1 ~ 10 agile archer

This build is quite simple. You can't use screwdriver shot in melee range unless you add precision shooter. This makes it non-charging while having near middle charge levels of damage, eventually overtaking middle charge with more levels in precision. No reason not to use it even if it's a ranged skill. You can macro screwdriver, arrow storm and ice arrow so screwdriver and arrow storm will automatically fire once it's off cooldown. For your remaining points, you can add it to passives though at this point they do not make much of a difference.

(B)Bow swing build:
    core build
    max bow swing
    1 precision
    1 ~ 10 agile archer
    1 conditioning

This build abuses the nice damage of bow swing on frozen targets. You can macro bow swing arrow storm and ice arrow so they are instantly cast once off cooldown. However, you generally want to start a fight by manually using arrow storm then ice arrow to 10 freeze stacks before using your macro, so that you won't use an unboosted bow swing.

(C)Double build:
    core build
    8 rapid shot
    1 ~ 10 bow swing
    1 ~ 10 screwdriver shot
    1 ~ 10 precision shooter
    1 conditioning
    1 agile archer

Since bow swing and screwdriver shot both add dps, why not use both? This build is very expensive on skill points, and it is only slightly better than the 1st 2 builds, but it's still better I guess. Max either bow swing or screwdriver shot first with your remaining skill points, there is not much of a difference between maxing those two.

(D)I changed my mind(Hybrid) build:
    core build
    10 rapid shot
    max screwdriver
    1 ~ 10 precision shooter
    1 ~ 10 agile archer
    0 ~ 1 conditioning
    0 ~ 1 bow swing

Since you already raised rapid shot to 8 to unlock screwdriver shot, might as well add 2 more skill points to rapid shot right? This build is rather versatile as it can excel in both close range and long ranged combat. Boss running at you? Ice arrow spam. Boss running away from you? Rapid shot spam. Boss resistant to fire? Ice arrow. Weak to fire? Rapid shot. Of course this build loses to both pure melee and pure ranged builds, but not by a significant amount, so it is worth considering. However, do note that the ranged portion of this build has higher damage than all the melee builds I listed above, but you probably expected that already. Do not take more than level 1 conditioning as you simply do not have the skill points to take it. Similarly for bow swing, it only affects the melee portion of this build so it is not worth investing into it over screwdriver shot.

(E)Melee doesn't limit my damage enough, I want to go lower(eagle claw) build:
    core build
    7 bronze eagle
    1 ~ 10 eagle claw
    1 ~ 10 agile archer
    0 ~ 10 bow swing
    1 conditioning

All jokes aside, don't ever take eagle claw in a melee build, and here is why. Level 1 eagle claw takes 7 sp from the base core build to unlock, does 662% damage and increases by 45% per level. It has a 18 second cooldown minimum as your eagle has to be there for you to use it. In comparison, level 1 enhanced screwdriver shot also takes 7 sp from the base core build, has 670% damage, and increases by 47% per level with a 13 second cooldown. On top of that, it gets a significant bonus from precision shooter. In case you are wondering, no you can't get both claw and screwdriver shot unless you have a lot of sp to waste. As for eagle majesty, it's a waste of dps just pressing that button, so even less reason to go eagle claw. Therefore, do not go eagle claw unless you like the animation or whatever.

Ok all these are the builds I considered. I did a few damage tests, and I was actually surprised that the melee build was only slightly weaker than the ranged build( like 10 to 20% difference). However, all these were tested on guild training dummies. They do not move or attack, unlike normal bosses. Since you need to hit bosses with all 3 hits of ice arrow, this optimal dps is extremely difficult to achieve when the bosses move, as the furthest you can be away from the guild dummy to hit it with 3 arrows is 1m, which is practically in front of it. In terms of damage, I would say that A and B are around the same, but do note that with higher precision shot levels A will pull ahead. C is slightly higher than A and B, and again, higher precision shot levels will pull it ahead, but you will have less sp to achieve this as you are going into both skills. However, it does also become more viable to go into build C the higher the level cap is. E, as I have explained should never be taken unless you want to further limit your damage. D is basically a mix of A and a ranged build. It is incredibly versatile, but excels in neither melee nor ranged, maybe it can be a PvP build hmm...
  • OldSaberOldSaber
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 780
    Sorry, I'm posting late to this. Been real life busy.
    It is entirely possible to make a close range archer, but not a melee archer.
    I would recomend going the full bow swing line to max the dmg with ice arrow combo. I would then suggest picking up arrow storm for a good mob stagger and then make sure to pick up the eagle buff and conditioning. I recommend maxing evasive salvo too, because it can be a nice heavy hitting disengage at close range. You can dance around mobs all day. However, if you do do this id suggest putting stats into hp untill you get used to it. Anything pre 50 you can do crit. Its not until 50+, that you would want to switch to a full dex build. Just hit on a pratice dummy to figure out what stat distribution works best for you.
    I will say that you will have a harder time in pve with this build in raids and dungeons as opposed to a rapid shot build or screwdriver as you dont have the safety of maxing range. Being up close to a boss can be quite devestating for an archer.
    I do highly recommend this build for pvp though. Add in full hp stats and your a force to be reckond with.
    I hope this helps and enjoy Maplestory 2! See you in-game!