[REVIEW] Class review video

BarkkBarkk
Maplestory 2 Rep: 200
edited 11:33PM May 16, 2018 in Thief
I made this video with the base skill description and them at level 50, with animations, the suggested game builds and my thoughts on the thief class

Hope you enjoy

Comments

• TodasTodas
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,770
    When empowered by Cunning, Blade Dance gives you a brief 1-second period of increased evasion chance. This goes from about 60% at level 1 to 99% at max level.

Meso Guard is 4s at all levels. It's 12s when empowered by Cunning, and also gives an 11% damage boost (+4% per level) in addition to its damage reduction buff (which may or may not be weaker when empowered)

Cunning Tactics is absolutely a must for poison-based builds. Every time it's off cooldown is 3-4 seconds you don't need to spend using Double Slash to get RNG Cunning procs for your Poison Blow. Over the course of a fight, especially a raid, this can save you several minutes of Double Slash attacks, and you can use that time for other things. Even at level 1, it's worth it.

I agree with your conclusion - the class at the moment has too many moving parts and too much RNG. It can't compete with other melee classes, and it certainly can't compete with the ranged DPS classes. Maybe this changes with the cap increase and future dungeons, but at least for the Fire Dragon raid I had to go in heavily on a Hasteless poison build in order to achieve anything, since the boss runs around all the time.
    Juyabolder_taste
  • AlenteAlente
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 720
    Todas wrote: »
    When empowered by Cunning, Blade Dance gives you a brief 1-second period of increased evasion chance. This goes from about 60% at level 1 to 99% at max level.

Meso Guard is 4s at all levels. It's 12s when empowered by Cunning, and also gives an 11% damage boost (+4% per level) in addition to its damage reduction buff (which may or may not be weaker when empowered)

Cunning Tactics is absolutely a must for poison-based builds. Every time it's off cooldown is 3-4 seconds you don't need to spend using Double Slash to get RNG Cunning procs for your Poison Blow. Over the course of a fight, especially a raid, this can save you several minutes of Double Slash attacks, and you can use that time for other things. Even at level 1, it's worth it.

I agree with your conclusion - the class at the moment has too many moving parts and too much RNG. It can't compete with other melee classes, and it certainly can't compete with the ranged DPS classes. Maybe this changes with the cap increase and future dungeons, but at least for the Fire Dragon raid I had to go in heavily on a Hasteless poison build in order to achieve anything, since the boss runs around all the time.

I completely disagree with you, I was always outputting massive damage with a max haste/surprise attack build. Thief absolutely Melts bosses in raids/dungeons alike. You are just using it completely wrong. There is an RNG element to proccing your cunning but the damage output on surprise attack is still good even without the cunning proc. I suggest you first test out many different builds before stating a class is bad compared to other classes. Thief is an absolute beast in the right hands, it's just difficult to play since it has so many things to keep an eye on and rotate. I was personally always outputting 20+ mil damage on my raids.
  • MnsnowMnsnow
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 560
    Haste is a absolutely must in pve, including the fire dragon raid. When the boss moves try to get on it and then let go just before it stops, a good thief (or melee classes in general) should be able to have almost the same dps time as range classes in the fire dragon raid. Especially thief because it's the most mobile melee class thanks to two ways of dash(quick step/mind stealer) as well as movement speed boost by Haste.
    bolder_taste
  • lillucariolillucario
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 820
    I can definitely confirm that Haste is almost necessary in pve. There are actually few situations where it isn't. Even though it drains your spirit during down time, a couple seconds of double slash plus cunning tactics plus you mind breaker to the boss you'll be back to a stable amount almost immediately to continue damaging. It does take some getting used to and knowing a boss' patterns to keep uptime but I feel thief isn't in that bad of a spot. The shorter range than other melee is annoying though.
  • ZyconZycon
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 885
    Before you say haste is a must, pay attention to the boss you're fighting and also how many skill points you have. It's an amazing skill and pretty much an anchor for thief but you can't use that at places like salamander. He runs away too often and you won't have the sp to even throw a poison vial let alone attack. Don't think that "just because the stats are good that the skill is good" because it doesn't work that way especially not for this class because we need skill points until we hit our mid 80s.
    bolder_taste
  • HailsHails
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 530
    All you really need to do to stay on Salamander is just quickstep backwards once or twice and then Mind Stealer though. Him running around isn't an excuse to run out of SP during the first phase. This isn't even counting grabbing onto him. Especially considering his movement patterns are always super telegraphed for when they end. He always finishes by running diagonally. So if you see him prep up and go for that then you don't even have to chase him since you already know he's coming back towards you on the other corner.
  • ZyconZycon
    Hails wrote: »
    All you really need to do to stay on Salamander is just quickstep backwards once or twice and then Mind Stealer though. Him running around isn't an excuse to run out of SP during the first phase. This isn't even counting grabbing onto him. Especially considering his movement patterns are always super telegraphed for when they end. He always finishes by running diagonally. So if you see him prep up and go for that then you don't even have to chase him since you already know he's coming back towards you on the other corner.

You’re missing the point. You’re waiting with 9 points in haste and maybe 4 points in the next skill, OR you can wait with a burst build that you now have an extra 13 more points for; using vial, kick, and surprise to do an instant 100k damage when the boss comes around instead of a measily 30-50k with the haste build. I never said you can’t go haste because it’s impossible, I said you shouldn’t go haste because there are better skills to opt in for that specific fight.

You do you though.
  • HailsHails
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 530
    I dont think anyone smart runs more than 1 point in haste atm. Not enough SP for 9 lol
  • ZyconZycon
    Hails wrote: »
    I dont think anyone smart runs more than 1 point in haste atm. Not enough SP for 9 lol

That makes even less sense. Why would you constantly put yourself at a disadvantage just for a very minor buff over choosing a different and better build?

That’s just being ignorant.
  • MareSEphemeralMareSEphemeral
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,835
    edited 9:57PM May 22, 2018
    During beta I found haste to be very situational. I either put as much as I could, or I didn't put anything into it at all depending on the situation.

I did enjoy cheating in the Crazy Runner mini-game with haste though. Buff up and enter as late as possible and get an instant lead because the buff doesn't get removed lol.
    Juya