CM Kyrios explains the team's plans moving forward!

>> http://forums.maplestory2.nexon.net/discussion/45796/

[Event] Map Destruction and Town Boss Invasions!

CapturedRayneCapturedRayne
MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,910
edited 11:44AM May 18, 2018 in Suggestions and Feedback
This is mostly my own opinion, but I really believe the game will be that much more enjoyable if this is implemented.
So, inspired by Maplestory 2's 3rd cinematic where a stone golem is seen destroying a town, making players have to step up to defeat him, I think events like this should actually be implemented as actual rare open world events where maps like henesys or tria are invaded by giant monsters trying to destroy the town (possibly commanded by one of the dark mage's henchmen). There could, or could not be notifications of these events happening prior, though I think a spontaneous event would be much more fun. Additionally, after the event ends and the boss is defeated, since the town would be in disarray, there could be a post-fight mini event asking players to help rebuild the city so that it goes back to normal again--so npcs and buildings go back to their original space after the town is finished being rebuilt.

Of course, the addition of such a big event to this game is a longshot, but I don't think it's a bad idea. So far, none of the more popular MMORPGS I have played have implemented spontaneous events like this in actual large cities, and having players keep on their toes even in town sounds like a fun addition to the game. Especially because Maplestory 2 is designed in a block form, I think Maplestory 2's ability to more easily create an event like this compared to other MMOs is a great feature that can be taken advantage of.

Am I going crazy, or is this a good idea? What do you guys think about it?
smileycatDrakooonbolder_taste
  1. Would you like large scale town boss invasions to be implemented in MS2?26 votes
    1. Maybe
       12% (3 votes)
    2. Yes
       77% (20 votes)
    3. No
       12% (3 votes)

Comments

• CapturedRayneCapturedRayne
    edited 5:02PM May 13, 2018
    This is more of a continuation of my ideas, so I'll just post it here:

- Having an event like this might be fun for ranking among guilds and players. For example, the guild or party that participated the most in stopping the invasion could get be rewarded with prestige or honor such as a temporary guild buff or title until the next invasion event occurs. Not exactly guild wars, but again, my overall point is to encourage player interaction and maintain engaged communities even in the long run.
    - If in the chance something like a storage or bank opens up in the major cities and these places get destroyed during an invasion event, players could temporarily lose access to their banks until the invasion is stopped and the town is rebuilt. Same for merchants, which will remain scarce until the town is fixed. In worst case scenario, players might lose things from their bank, but that also seems too sadistic and cruel an idea as well. Overall, something like this would require several hours prior notice, but it'll definitely give players even more incentive to participate in the event. (and would only work if your bank account is tied to a specific town)

I'm just here spouting ideas, but if you have any other ideas to add on or flaws related to this, feel free to throw it in! I'd love to hear your opinions.
    Drakooon
  • AndrésAndrés
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,130
    This is mostly my own opinion, but I really believe the game will be that much more enjoyable if this is implemented.
    So, inspired by Maplestory 2's 3rd cinematic where a stone golem is seen destroying a town, making players have to step up to defeat him, I think events like this should actually be implemented as actual rare open world events where maps like henesys or tria are invaded by giant monsters trying to destroy the town (possibly commanded by one of the dark mage's henchmen). There could, or could not be notifications of these events happening prior, though I think a spontaneous event would be much more fun. Additionally, after the event ends and the boss is defeated, since the town would be in disarray, there could be a post-fight mini event asking players to help rebuild the city so that it goes back to normal again--so npcs and buildings go back to their original space after the town is finished being rebuilt.

Of course, the addition of such a big event to this game is a longshot, but I don't think it's a bad idea. So far, none of the more popular MMORPGS I have played have implemented spontaneous events like this in actual large cities, and having players keep on their toes even in town sounds like a fun addition to the game. Especially because Maplestory 2 is designed in a block form, I think Maplestory 2's ability to more easily create an event like this compared to other MMOs is a great feature that can be taken advantage of.

Am I going crazy, or is this a good idea? What do you guys think about it?

This would be really nice to see. Kinda like in MS1 when a GM spawns mobs in Henesys or during events like when the Cake Boss is spawned in a map.
    CapturedRayne
    Andrés wrote: »
    This would be really nice to see. Kinda like in MS1 when a GM spawns mobs in Henesys or during events like when the Cake Boss is spawned in a map.
    Ohh I really miss those days. I always got really excited when those surprise events showed up in the game XD Sometimes the limited edition stuff were really nice too.
    edited 11:41AM May 18, 2018
    I've been thinking about what monsters would be cool to invade the towns other than the stone golems, but maybe something like a hoard of slimes and mushrooms just piling into the cities? XD
  • DanDKDanDK
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 33,530
    Having World Events in general would be a nice idea and this definitely exists in other MMOs.
    There's no need to include cities even though you could of course consider having both.
    But I think focusing on actually having some random world events would be beneficial to the game as a whole. It would also encourage people to go out and explore the actual maps instead of staying in the cities where they already spend a lot of their game time.
    CapturedRayne
    That is true too, I hardly saw anyone out in the maps, and its a shame that they're not being fully explored despite how nicely they were all made.
    DanDK
    Well, no map destruction, but they definitely did town boss invasions! and I love it. XD Just, the game crashes much too often.
  • Always_HidAlways_Hid
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 9,900
    i think it's probably better to have them as random world events on random maps (not towns, rip frame rate). it could be a random daily where the dark mage "invades" a map and we have a quest to defend against the big boss spawns that come through. i think it would be a fun little mini event
    nEwBVnH.gif
    CapturedRayne