Please do not send inquiries to the Forum Moderators and Community Manager Cuddles regarding forum name changes. Exceptions are only made if the forum name violates the CoC. Thank you for understanding.

Fishing guide

AltimosAltimos
Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,970
edited 9:40AM October 10, 2018 in General Chat
Beginner I to Master requires 1000 Mastery

Each fish gives Mastery the first time you catch it, 2 for Normal, 4 for Rare, 6 for Exceptional and 8 for Epic. Each fish you catch also has a chance to give Mastery as well, but the chance decreases the higher up the tiers you go.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zu0qUXnfN5-_IpEjUabkcAP46IYNCEFqosxCRIWgvzY/edit#gid=0
(Amazing document courtesy of @Moranac)

Guaranteed Mastery from catching all the fish in each tier:

• Beginner I Mastery Total: 56
• Beginner II Mastery Total: 26
• Beginner III Mastery Total: 28
• Beginner IV Mastery Total: 34

• Intermediate I Mastery Total: 46
• Intermediate II Mastery Total: 40
• Intermediate III Mastery Total: 54
• Intermediate IV Mastery Total: 50

• Advanced I Mastery Total: 50
• Advanced II Mastery Total: 82
• Advanced III Mastery Total: 68
• Advanced IV Mastery Total: 68

Total: 602

Needed: 398

Guide:

• Fish in Evansville Poison until Beginner II
• Fish in Harang Island Lava until Beginner III
• Fish in Revoldic Dam Poison until Beginner IV
• Fish in Boulderwhite Mountains Poison until Intermediate I
• Fish in Suffering Wasteland Oil until Intermediate II
• Now go and catch all the fish you haven't yet
• Try to fish at locations that your fishing level matches first, only going to lower level areas when you've caught all level appropriate fish

List of fish with Unknown locations:

• Pineapple Fish: Found in the ocean around Harang Island
• Star Candy Crab: Found in the ocean around Harang Island
• Broccoturtle: Found in the Turtcoli Cave sub-map in the Royal Road Plaza map. Entrance is next to the ladder east of the binoculars. (credit goes to anon post number 214410821 on /v/)
• Horse Mackerel: Found in the water in the Victoria Runway sub-map in the Tria map
• Black Drum: Found in the water in the Victoria Runway sub-map in the Tria map
• Tiger Prawn: Found in the water in the Victoria Runway sub-map in the Tria map
• Toxic Flounder: Found in the Development Lab sub-map in the Goldus Pharmaceuticals map
• Sorrowfish: Found in the Development Lab sub-map in the Goldus Pharmaceuticals map
• Machodile: Found in the Van Corta dungeon (Credit goes to /u/Acedus on Reddit)
• Seahorus: Found in the Horus's Nest dungeon, the second map after you enter (Credit goes to /u/Acedus on Reddit)

Master ranked fish with Unknown locations:

• Masked Parexus: Found in the Blueshade Cave dungeon
• Treelacanth: Found in the Ludible Time Hall dungeon inside the Primeval Jungle/Past Henesys sub-maps
• Pyromander: Found in The Fire Dragon hard dungeon
• Golden Koi: Found in the Ludible Time Hall dungeon inside the Primeval Jungle/Past Henesys sub-maps
• Footballfish: Found in the unreleased Chaos Morc raid
• Vilequill: Found in the Temple of Immortals hard dungeon

HEADSTART UPDATE:
Two new fish have been added to Lith Harbor, I think it was a mistake as they seem to be valentine's day themed and they don't have names or descriptions.
They are worth 4 and 6 mastery, but they are rarer than most epic fish, so don't worry too much about catching them.

FULL RELEASE
Nothing new was added ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
SemeCzareBakaAnikiNyuraClayTheGrayBlobMG42GlassOwlkinsuyaPaul_Lindelyand 116 others.

Comments

• SidredboySidredboy
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 200
    edited 9:09AM May 11, 2018
    ola!!!
  • SemeSeme
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,040
    Thank you!
  • OvermasterOvermaster
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 2,335
    Thanks! I wish someone was collecting all these guides so they don't go missing once CBT ends.
  • OvermasterOvermaster
    What lures do you use by the way? Golden fish lures or increased success lures?
  • AltimosAltimos
    No lures, golden fish don't increase mastery, and common/rare fish are easy enough that you don't need the Skinny Worm Lure.
    I suppose you could use Meat Chunk, but I've only found the one out of a box I got from fishing.
  • OvermasterOvermaster
    Altimos wrote: »
    No lures, golden fish don't increase mastery, and common/rare fish are easy enough that you don't need the Skinny Worm Lure.
    I suppose you could use Meat Chunk, but I've only found the one out of a box I got from fishing.

Interesting! And you'd say that catching new types of fish is the fastest way to raise fishing level, rather than just doing the same spot-for-your-level infinitely?
  • AltimosAltimos
    As your rank increases, the average amount of experience you get just from catching fish decreases, dunno why, but yes I feel that farming a single fish each rank until intermediate II is the best way to go.
    Overmaster
  • SemeSeme
    @Altimos

Thank you again did you auto fish after intermediate or did you manually fish to catch all the other types of fish?
  • AltimosAltimos
    A combination of both, mostly because I spent all my merets on looking fab! Auto-fishing is superior to manual, not only does it instantly start fishing again after catching a fish, it also never does the minigame. I didn't mention it in the guide because meret isn't going to be free at launch, and I didn't want to advocate the spending of real cash just to get a little bit ahead in a video game.
    OneConfusedMilletian
  • SomeVietGirlSomeVietGirl
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 855
    How do you get Spectral Kitty Fishing badge
    PrincessFiona
  • ArelicxArelicx
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 850
    How are people getting this special fishing pole that's looks like a cat paw and there's a cat circling them?
  • AltimosAltimos
    I actually don't know the answers to those questions. I fish, but I don't do anything else really, I'm not even 50 yet.
  • AltimosAltimos
    edited 10:55AM May 11, 2018
    EDIT: Double posted, plz delet
  • StellarStellar
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 510
    I recommend visiting older places, or equipping the golden fish lure at higher mastery points. It takes longer and longer to get mastery at higher tiers (around intermediate III), so they extra boost from catching fish you haven't already is good. I also recommend trying to catch fish in each saltwater, freshwater, and special biome for each mastery level for a quite boost in mastery. Just reached Advanced III BTW
  • AltimosAltimos
    @Stellar
    Golden fish don't give mastery points when caught, their only use is to sell for (a pitiful amount of) mesos.
    The exception to that is if you catch a giant one, but since that counts for all fish, why make it so you catch less fish by using a gold lure?
    As for catching all the fish you can at every level, yes it works, but it's slower than grinding as you don't earn enough mastery JUST from catching new fish to reach the cap. Since you need to farm anyway, you should do it at lower levels where the mastery gain per fish is higher.
  • HibariKyoyaHibariKyoya
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 520
    where is Harang Island Lava ?
  • SemeSeme
    edited 12:39PM May 11, 2018
    How do you get Spectral Kitty Fishing badge
    Arelicx wrote: »
    How are people getting this special fishing pole that's looks like a cat paw and there's a cat circling them?

It's a badge awarded to you for reaching level 40 during CBT.
    Yc1kCfv.png

You can find all rewards here
    http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/30613/closed-beta-events
    SomeVietGirl
  • SomeVietGirlSomeVietGirl
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 855
    How do I unlock the Turtcoli cave sub map
  • SedSed
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 700
    What is the Spring Beach map? I don't see it when I search through the world map.
  • AltimosAltimos
    @HibariKyoya Talk to Yoharang in Evansville and ask him to send you there.
    @SomeVietGirl I think one of the NPCs on the map opens it after you talk to them, I don't know which one though.
    @Sed Spring Beach is one of the event maps that pops up every now and then, like the quiz and dance dance stop.
    SomeVietGirlHibariKyoya