Learn everything about the Guilded Glory update this month from the patch notes!

>> http://forums.maplestory2.nexon.net/discussion/45646/

Knight Class design issues, suggestions

Ogar0Ogar0
Maplestory 2 Rep: 755
edited 4:21AM May 11, 2018 in Knight
Theres no reason to use any other ability than typhoon slash as knight atm(im level 44knight)
Everything else(minus the dash and shield throw if you are feeling like bossing) that you use is just small bonuses not worth spending the points on, and usually puts you more at disadvantage due to mobility loss.
Blocking with shield feels extremely unrewarding, and in current state playing knight solo looks like playing clunky berzerker with occasional "BLOCK" popup.

Ive expected some captain america meets WoW Prot warrior action, and as of now im severely dissapointed. Im just running around and slashing mobs with typhoon, andoccasional cross cut if im out of spirit.
Mobility is okay, damage is mediocre, utility lacking aswell (we do help to deal damage with shield toss debuff)

I see lot of similarities between this game and early versions of diablo 3 right after release.
which isnt bad per se, but i hope devs can step up with class design(at least knight) because as it stands, its mindnumblingly boring and generic and theres barely any synergy between skills, and skill trees feel randomly put togheter like someone did his homework just before class begun.

End of rant, going to post some ideas in next post.
FluddyScarzigReeceBagoAmberaldus
  1. Are you happpy with current state of knight abilities?52 votes
    1. Yes, i love it and its fun to play
       12% (6 votes)
    2. Its okay, needs slight changes.
       44% (23 votes)
    3. No, i think it needs big changes..
       33% (17 votes)
    4. BADZERKER
       12% (6 votes)

Comments

• Ogar0Ogar0
    edited 6:29AM May 11, 2018
    What i would LIKE to see:

Rewarding, skill based blocking mechanism.
    For example, Iron Shield is now baseline ability, costs 1 stamina(switch places with Iron defense). Drains stamina when shield is up 1pt. per second. Once stamina hits zero, shield drops.
    Reduces damage taken by 90%, damage reduction drops the longer shield is held(half in pvp), 20% per second.
    Each attack successfully blocked recovers 10spirit

This makes blocking effective in skilled player hands, prevents abuse by continous shielding, and gives us something to regen spirit in defensive stance:

Iron defense reworked:
    Increases stamina regeneration by 50%
    Reduces damage taken by 20%
    Reduces movement speed by 50%
    Reduces spirit regeneration by 50%
    TOGGLEABLE just like currently, with 5 second cooldown.
    Become turtle, move around using shield charge dash, but be aware to not spend all stamina because you need it to defend yourself.

Cross Cut changed:
    In addition to regular damage, each hit gives you stacking Critical damage % buff lasting 5 seconds. Once you score critical hit, buff disappears
    This ability cannot crit.

Shield mastery changed:
    Sucessfully blocking an attack gives 50-100% chance to crit on next attack.
    FluddyScarzigUberchao
  • Ogar0Ogar0
    Oh also as side note, Shield Booster ability doesnt work, or tooltip is incorrect.
    Scarzig
  • FluddyFluddy
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 500
    I agree, I was hoping there would be something by timing blocks with the shield, but the game doesn't really reward you for that all and you're really better off just dashing out of the way!
  • Ogar0Ogar0
    So, ive hit 50, played a little bit endgame, solo and in groups.
    Got geared (Thanks fishing)

Dont think i will be playing knight if the abilities stay just like they are right now.
    Not a fan of being forced to stand still slashing enemies and getting whacked on by them, hoping ill get passive damage proc (which is very low to begin with)
    It would feel much better if we had hard hitting, relativvely slow abilities, so we could weave blocks between strikes. And please PLEASE remove the rng from blocking and make it more meaningfull
  • NorthboundNorthbound
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 3,145
    Tip: The defensive stance isn't usually worth using. When it's up, yeah, the gameplay is super boring with typhooning everwhere, but that's not how you play the class optimally. The class is a lot more interesting without it. In raids, you get to work a lot more with Bulwark, Defender, and Shield Toss which makes the gameplay more exciting. I wish that Iron Shield was a bit better, but your suggestion on an Iron Defense rework would literally never be worth using.
  • Ogar0Ogar0
    thanks for the tip but i havent used defensive stance in last ~~25 levels
    i also changed back to using the sting attack, because its better in raids (against bosses mostly)
    I was just tossing ideas, and i would like others to post some aswell, because apparently whoever is in charge of them doesnt seem to be doing great job.
    I see similar complaints from other classes aswell. Like huge requirement on skills that you need if yo uwish to unlock actual usefull abilities, or barely any synergies between skills.

• MrPlinkettMrPlinkett
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 885
    edited 6:13PM May 13, 2018
    You know you need Iron Defense on in order to have a stable spirit economy while weaving Typhoon and Stinger. You could say that Knight is like Ninja from FFXIV where they're not taken for their damage but for their good utility like a 12% damage boost for 10 seconds and good null-all panic button in case the raid group messes up or under-heal a heal check.
  • ShikiTsuguShikiTsugu
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 635
    I took the knight class only to suit my Artoria Pendragon cosplay but tbh I don't like the class, like you said when playing Knight, mostly only typhoon is used..
  • AzureFlame98AzureFlame98
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,035
    edited 3:07AM May 16, 2018
    Ogar0 wrote: »
    Oh also as side note, Shield Booster ability doesnt work, or tooltip is incorrect.

Shield Booster does work. The tooltip isnt clear in telling you how it works and theres no icon indicating you did anything correctly.
    Old Shield Uppercut - you would use the skill and if you were hit during it you got Counter Buff.
    New Shield Booster - You use the skill and for 10seconds you have an Invisible Buff where you gain 450 Damage Resistance and a CHANCE to trigger Counter when you take damage.

The tooltip for the skill is terrible and they dont have any indication on the UI that any of these effects are actually active.
    Ogar0
  • LChaos2LChaos2
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 630
    I feel there should be more ways to get Perfect Guard chance so it synergizes with the level 50 epic set.
  • Ogar0Ogar0
    Ogar0 wrote: »

Shield Booster does work. The tooltip isnt clear in telling you how it works and theres no icon indicating you did anything correctly.
    Old Shield Uppercut - you would use the skill and if you were hit during it you got Counter Buff.
    New Shield Booster - You use the skill and for 10seconds you have an Invisible Buff where you gain 450 Damage Resistance and a CHANCE to trigger Counter when you take damage.

The tooltip for the skill is terrible and they dont have any indication on the UI that any of these effects are actually active.

ok then
    Well that made me confused.
  • CraveyCravey
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 715
    The Knight's support abilities were where I thought it needed the most help. The balancing was way off and one skill doesn't even function properly. Shield Toss might be the only decent ability available for bossing with the Enemy Defense Reduction % over 12 seconds. The Shield Wall and Warhorn skills were extremely underwhelming. Shield Walls Self/Ally Physical/Magic Resistance Increase and Warhorns Self/Ally Physical/Magic Attack Increase % goes unnoticed. The Bulwark has an up time at 3 seconds but only lasts for maybe 1? There seems to be conflicting information with skill descriptions in the game and the actual mechanics in place.