Please do not send inquiries to the Forum Moderators and Community Manager Cuddles regarding forum name changes. Exceptions are only made if the forum name violates the CoC. Thank you for understanding.

[Guide] Basic Gathering/Crafting Professions

LindelyLindely
Maplestory 2 Rep: 5,910
Forum Moderator
edited 5:40AM October 5, 2018 in Life Skills
I've noticed the increasing amount of questions regarding the professions on the forums, and decided to write down a short explanation of the system to maybe make it easier to understand for people who are unfamiliar with it.

Life Skills as it stands right now in KMS2 are rather simple. You can do all of them on one character, you are not gated by the amount of professions you want to do. Each gathering profession is linked with a crafting profession as it provides the materials for it. Crafting professions also use materials provided with other gathering professions besides the main one, but a smaller amount and only to craft certain things.

Mining - Smithing
Ranching - Handicrafts
Foraging - Alchemy
Farming - Cooking

For the gathering professions, each material has its own "stamina" that you exhaust daily as you gather it (Success Rate of gathering, once you reach Success Rate: None, you can't gather any more of that material until the daily reset happens. It doesn't seem to fully be the case for Ranching and Farming, as those are only doable in housing plots, and success rate in your house and other houses is separate. So once you exhaust all the gathering attempts in your own house, you will still be able to do some in other houses you visit, but much less than in your own).
For the crafting professions, it's a limit of 1 000 crafts per day.

Mining and Foraging are the gathering professions that you do in the open world. In Life skill interface, when you select the node of your level, it will tell you which map it can be found on, as well as what materials you will receive. Pretty straightforward.

Ranching and Farming are the gathering professions that you do in-house. In order to do them, you just have to purchase corresponding nodes in the furnishing interface and place them down. New nodes are unlocked as you increase your gathering level.

Smithing is directly linked to Mining as it was mentioned above and is used to:
1. Refine materials obtained through mining (main leveling source).
2. Create various boosts for smithing and ranching (?).
3. Create gemstones and lumistones.
4. Create equipment (armor and weapons; temporary and permanent).
5. Create crystals for the gear transcendence.

Handicraft is directly linked to Ranching and is used to:
1. Refine materials obtained through ranching (main leveling source).
2. Create various boosts for handicraft and mining (?).
3. Create Music score sheets (5k; 20 uses).
4. Create equipment (accessory; combat and non-combat stats, temporary and permanent).
5. Create consumables to increase your defense.

Alchemy is directly linked to Foraging and is used to:
1. Refine materials obtained through foraging (main leveling source).
2. Create various boosts for alchemy and farming (?).
3. Create consumables to boost various stats.
4. Create Ground Mount Summoning Stone.
5. Create Air Mount Summoning Stone.
6. Create upgrading materials for lumistones.
7. Create a Gear Dye / Make-Up / Face Change / Skin Change / Hairstyle Voucher.
8. Create healing potions.

Cooking is directly linked to Farming and is used to:
1. Refine materials obtained through farming (main leveling source).
2. Create various boosts for cooking and foraging (?).
3. Create consumables to boost various stats.
4. Create health restoration food.
5. Create experience boost.

Keep in mind, this information is relevant for the current KMS2 version. I am not sure what changes the system went through and which exact version of it we will get in GMS2. Hope this information is helpful. o/

Feel free to ask questions regarding the systems if you have them, and I will try to answer, if that's something I know.
SaintoneGodxyDanDKOneLoneHermitLuminaEdgeYutoAmaranthineNiharaheienoxMipieand 38 others.

Comments

• Always_HidAlways_Hid
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 9,900
    @Lindely this is amazingly helpful information, thank you!
  • SaintoneSaintone
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 4,365
    Great job, thanks for sharing!
  • DanDKDanDK
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 33,475
    Thank you very much for the short and sweet guide! You condensed all the most important information very well.
  • OneLoneHermitOneLoneHermit
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,420
    Thank you for this very short and informative guide. Great work.
  • LuminaEdgeLuminaEdge
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 8,060
    Awesome information, i appreciate it.

Are the craftable equipment from smithing useable at endgame at all? Or will instance equipment always be superior?
  • YutoYuto
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 615
    thank you, i was desperate looking for some info about professions. <3
  • LindelyLindely
    Forum Moderator
    LuminaEdge wrote: »

Are the craftable equipment from smithing useable at endgame at all? Or will instance equipment always be superior?

@LuminaEdge
    This I am not sure at the moment. I'll be able to tell you once I reach it and try crafting the equipment myself, curious to see if there's an RNG to what you get or it's just same item that can roll different stats. As for the relevance of the equipment, it will also depend on the version we get.

Once I do some equipment crafting (today or tomorrow I should have enough materials to try), I will post the results here as well, so hopefully that will answer your question. Or perhaps someone who already tried will answer it before that point. ^^
  • DanDKDanDK
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 33,475
    Lindely wrote: »
    LuminaEdge wrote: »

@LuminaEdge
    This I am not sure at the moment. I'll be able to tell you once I reach it and try crafting the equipment myself, curious to see if there's an RNG to what you get or it's just same item that can roll different stats. As for the relevance of the equipment, it will also depend on the version we get.

Once I do some equipment crafting (today or tomorrow I should have enough materials to try), I will post the results here as well, so hopefully that will answer your question. Or perhaps someone who already tried will answer it before that point. ^^

Hopefully there'll be some quirky stuff you can do with crafting that is good for situational things or just fun to play around with. It's always hard to balance this particular aspect of any MMO but it'd be nice if it wasn't just completely useless. You could base a lot of other systems on it and get features beyond simple gear stats :)
  • TrizerTrizer
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 895
    edited 12:06PM May 5, 2018
    The best tips for future crafter is to work on your maid's level as soon as possible. Do not wait end game. Crafting take a lot of time and ressources. If you really want to invest in the craft, put some real cash and rent better maids ASAP.

-there is some RNG involved, you can obtain different grade and stats.
    -it's usefull for end game content. Some consumables are percents based and gear provide uniques stats you can't find elswhere.

If you don't want to maximize everything quickly, crafting is not a priority. Buy your stuff later at the black market (when you have enough money).
  • BamboozlerBamboozler
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 19,705
    @Lindely keep up the great work! I'll definitely be coming back here when I need information about crafting. I hope this gets updated as GMS2 comes to fruition.
  • RyoManRyoMan
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 3,380
    Glorious Thread
  • BamboozlerBamboozler
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 19,705
    @Lindely Just noticed there's no fishing on this list, does it need to be added or is that separate to professions altogether?
  • NikkieNikkie
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 2,250
    Thank you for the info. Im def gonna try some of this stuff.
  • LindelyLindely
    Forum Moderator
    edited 4:39AM May 6, 2018
    Bamboozler wrote: »
    @Lindely Just noticed there's no fishing on this list, does it need to be added or is that separate to professions altogether?

@Bamboozler
    I can add it, but it's separate altogether. It's located in a separate interface and doesn't really seem to provide resources directly (fish itself). Looks like this:

ZKUi6U0.png

You can occasionally catch some junk items to sell to the vendor or gear pieces (mostly low level, but maybe at the highest level you can actually get something decent? Takes way too long to get there so likely to be tested on gms2).
    It looks more like a achievement/completion thing to me at the moment as it tracks progress of how many fish you caught, which type, what weight etc, but doesn't seem to have practical use besides giving a little bit of exp on every fish that you caught. I will keep leveling it for now and see if it changes later on.

Trizer wrote: »
    The best tips for future crafter is to work on your maid's level as soon as possible. Do not wait end game. Crafting take a lot of time and ressources. If you really want to invest in the craft, put some real cash and rent better maids ASAP.

@Trizer
    Can you please elaborate on the servant topic as it seems like you have experience with it? I've played around with the servants you can hire for meso, but they don't seem to be that promising even when you fully level them. Do cash shop currency ones have different items they can create, or is there any practical difference between them apart from the appearance of course? They do seem to have different grades, but I am not sure how that affect their crafting potential.

OneLoneHermitBamboozlerTrizer
  • TrizerTrizer
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 895
    edited 6:27AM May 6, 2018
    Lindely wrote: »
    Can you please elaborate on the servant topic as it seems like you have experience with it?

Things may change and maybe the maids will not be present in our cash shop at the release. The ones you can rent require less material when you craft (depending on their grade) and can craft one special item. If I remember well, they have more chance to craft better grade item too.

WARNING the links below are old..
    They are still relevant for a general overview. Most mechanics are still the same. Im not good enough in english, these people explain same stuff and waay better than me :)

AyumiLove guide about maid system
    http://ayumilove.net/maplestory2-maid-guide/

Complete video about optimizing your craft with maid
  • LindelyLindely
    Forum Moderator
    edited 6:13AM May 6, 2018
    Trizer wrote: »
    Things may change and maybe the maids will not be present in our cash shop at the release. The ones you can rent require less material when you craft (depending on their grade) and can craft one special item. If I remember well, they have more chance to craft better grade item too.

I will try to look for more details about the real bonus they give.

Thank you! That would be awesome.
    From what I've seen, they seem to just craft slightly different items, that you can't craft yourself so far.

• nerjinerji
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 620
    What time does the gathering/crafting chances reset?
  • YorvaltYorvalt
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,840
    nerji wrote: »
    What time does the gathering/crafting chances reset?

Same times as the the daily attendance event:
    Log in to MapleStory 2 every day to claim mounts, outfits and more! Each Day begins and ends at:
    PDT (UTC -7): 5:00 PM
    EDT (UTC -4): 8:00 PM
    BRT (UTC -3): 9:00 PM
    CEST (UTC +2): 2:00 AM
    AEST (UTC +10): 10:00 AM
    Lindely
  • SilentCrowSilentCrow
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 530
    edited 8:37PM June 24, 2018
    Thanks helped a lot ^_^
  • DretonDreton
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 920