Let's enjoy the final days! Check out what changes and events started this March here: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/56485/sunset-in-maple-world
MapleStory 2's servers will be officially closing on May 27th: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/56486/service-discontinuation

[Guide] Music Composition + Importing MIDI

Comments

• ServofrostServofrost
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 200
    Alright so if i were to separate each one of the tracks in a piece of music into its own sheet of music then hand it to other players and we all played at the same time it should in turn work as if we were all playing our parts when we playing in an ensemble correct?
  • LuciiKLuciiK
    Thanks for the guide!

Sometimes when converting Guitar Pro 6 tabs to MIDI, many tabs, when converted to the MML code(in 3MLE), have specific volumes for each note (for example, instead of <ab+b<e>g+>d<<g+a>ebeb+g>, they are like <abv8+b<ev11>gv9+>dv8<<g+av10>ebv9eb+g> ).

Is there a way to set a single volume for the entire track or fix that? The solution i found was just deleting the volume for each note, but that can be annoying in complex tabs.
  • HozzieHozzbourneHozzieHozzbourne
    How do I make the files .MS2MML? When I save the files they are saved as .MML instead..
  • NirimetusNirimetus
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 300
    How do I make the files .MS2MML? When I save the files they are saved as .MML instead..

Don't save them in the program, copy and past the code into the game following the guide, before making the music sheet use the Save File button to save, the game will save it to be used later on.
  • DocDoomDocDoom
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,265
    I'm feeling like Bethoven already, thanks!
  • SaranethSaraneth
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,995
    My track 1 had multiple t's with slightly different numbers. What do I do with that?
  • RainiSkiesRainiSkies
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 510
    I would like to contribute this info. I calculated it and you get about 4.25 levels per hour of music. Exp is linear with song duration so any song will do. It scales with level too so it remains good throughout.
  • RainiSkiesRainiSkies
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 510
    RainiSkies wrote: »
    I would like to contribute this info. I calculated it and you get about 4.25 levels per hour of music. Exp is linear with song duration so any song will do. It scales with level too so it remains good throughout.

I mean 2.125 levels an hour. With 2x going on right now, its about 4.25 levels an hour
  • tokidokitokidoki
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 975
    After that, we need to set the tempo and volume across all tracks to be synchronized. Look for the green t in Track1 and the number that follows it. This letter and number denote the song's speed at which it's played at. You may have an orange v and a number after it as well. This is the song's volume. If the orange v is not there, you can manually set it right after the t# value, up to a max volume of 15. Any volume between 10-15 is fine. Too low and you won't hear it well in-game. With these two values set in Track1, copy and paste them into the beginning of all other tracks so they look like Track1 as well.

1uwyzI6.png

This will synchronize the speed and volume of the main melody along with it's harmonies. With that, you're done! Feel free to listen to your song on 3ML Editor's built-in instrumentation to see if it sounds okay.

i don't see this part in the program
  • LizzilouLizzilou
    Great guide, really helped!
  • Pineapple1124Pineapple1124
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,740
    edited 6:58AM November 17, 2018
    Just in case if anybody wants to see it in a video. Sorry for the low quality though.

• Pineapple1124Pineapple1124
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,740
    Is it possible to merge tracks? Can someone please help with this

The easiest way to achieve this is import the song without breaking up, and import the rest of pieces in different octaves.
    It's pretty simple, might do a video on this.
    Maloy
  • VadurVadur
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 410
    Even though i change the values it barely makes any sound in game, plz help
  • lPrincepsllPrincepsl
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 500
    Vadur wrote: »
    Even though i change the values it barely makes any sound in game, plz help

This is because most music you import in 3MLE will have volumes that range between 3-20. In order to fix parts with volumes such as 3, you will have to change them manually. To do this, you have to find "v<#>". I found it best to ctrl + f and also found to change all these volumes consistently, you can copy all notes is 1 track within the 3MLE and press ctrl+f and click replace all.
  • MaloyMaloy
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,290
    edited 5:45PM January 10, 2019
    Having gone through about 8-12 compositions fromscratch and half a dozen imports, double/triple checking timing and formating before an import is a big deal.

Defsult volume is also based off the Master Volume control in game, so once you import it the level may drop tons.

I use 3MLE, and I cannot tell you how many times I've had inaudible instruments, or a tempo change mistyped in an ensemble, or I accidently added R+4.

Fun fact. Rests can't be sharp, so MS2 ignores the number and turns it into a full bar rest.
  • TheouAegisTheouAegis
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 400
    This is a stickied topic, so it should be okay to do what would essentially amount to necroing anywhere else...

In case it wasn't covered yet, because I didn't read past the first post (lol), if you donwload working ms2mml files, you'll see how these things are supposed to be formatted.

All Tracks Must Have The Same Tempo Specified
    If you change tempo in one track, you must change tempo in all other tracks. I understand how stupid this is, especially since it hurts your character count quite a bit, but that's just how it is. I couldn't see any effect from changing Performance Speed, so that's probably not an option.

MS2MML is an XML File Format
    Or something like that. If you open an MS2MML file and compare it to an old MML file, you'll notice the headers and wahtnot are different. You must follow the correct syntax for MS2MML. At its core, the format is:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <ms2>
    <melody>
    <![CDATA[

//Track 1 MML here//

]]>
    </melody>
    <chord index = "1" >
    <![CDATA[

//Track 2 MML here//

]]>
    </chord>
    <chord index = "2" >
    <![CDATA[

//Track 3 MML here//

]]>
    </chord>
    </ms2>
    You can see the pattern for adding chords. Remember, you can only play 1 note per track at a time.

Read the manual for MML commands
    While 3MLE will implement most of the commands for you, read the manual for the rest of the commands that are specific to MapleStory 2. I don't remember gestures being a command in any other game (but I haven't played the others in a while).

K.I.S.S. -- Keep It Short, Stupid
    No offense. 3MLE is handy for quickly converting MIDI files into MML, but the better the MIDI recording, the worse 3MLE seems to do with it, but this is an issue with nearly every program that transcribes MIDI files. Knowing the instruments your songs will be intended for is important in helping you reduce character count. Most instruments have poor sustain, so there is very little point retaining a sustained note from a MIDI file. These usually show up in 3MLE like a4.&a32, or my favorite a&a&a&a&a. While you can use the Sustain command to give your music a richer sound, you can probably get rid of the extra notes by just replacing them with rests, like a4r32 or arrrr. For most instruments, this will save you a lot of characters without hurting sound quality too much; it really cuts back on character count when the sustained note is sharp or flat. You could also reduce the duration threshold in 3MLE when importing the file, but this can harm the quality of the music sometimes as notes get garbled and lost.

C- Is Better Than A B
    3MLE already does this, but if you do things by hand, sometimes playing a B requires an octave change. Since C is the cutoff for octaves, using C- can sometimes save you an extra character.

Dot Your 1's
    Again, 3MLE does this for you when beneficial, but if you do things by hand, this may be a useful tip. Consider using l1.rrrr when needing to rest for very long periods. It doesn't make much sense for short periods, but for those prolonged ones, it adds up.