Please do not send inquiries to the Forum Moderators and Community Manager Cuddles regarding forum name changes. Exceptions are only made if the forum name violates the CoC. Thank you for understanding.

[Guide] Music Composition + Importing MIDI

Comments

• mmviimmvii
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 4,890
    edited 9:08PM October 7, 2018
    This might be a nice side project to consider. Gotta love the versatility of MS2. Nice guide and thanks ^^.
  • capricciocapriccio
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 635
    Bless this post.

Does anyone know if the amount of tracks I get from MIDI are limited to just 2 because of the file itself? Because OP has 4 and I only ever get 2 when I open them in MLE.
    And/or, anyone know a way to get more tracks? I'm missing a lot of harmonies lol
  • KavajuKavaju
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 705
    edited 6:09PM October 8, 2018
    capriccio wrote: »
    Bless this post.

Does anyone know if the amount of tracks I get from MIDI are limited to just 2 because of the file itself? Because OP has 4 and I only ever get 2 when I open them in MLE.
    And/or, anyone know a way to get more tracks? I'm missing a lot of harmonies lol

MML and MIDI differ a bit from eachother, while midi can have tracks within tracks, (play whole chords for an example) MML can only have 1 sound playing at any one time in each track, so we build our chords with several tracks! Still with me?

To fix this im 3MLE we have to make sure we open MIDI chords as separate tracks. This can become annoying, but this is the way to get a lossless conversion.

What you have to do is import the midi in "Stages"
    1. Select "import" midi

2. Select ONLY ONE midi track and make sure the tickboxes are as below

c7ec3e90a6fe16d3d5f820c0fc195a81.png

3. Open up another window of 3mle, you should now have 2 instances of 3mle open.

4. Repeat step 2 on the next midi track

a4ee07e32cab7bc7da6f424bdf9d8882.png

5. Copy paste the tracks from your second 3mle window into your first

6. Repeat as needed if midi has more than 2 tracks.

7. Enjoy a lossless salvage with 1872831 tracks!

3b5c02f852d8241eb73c87ea9bdde119.png
    FuldiumGamirosh
  • AngelRodriguezAngelRodriguez
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 830
    So whenever i download a file from the website provided, it downloads as a .MID file rather than a .MIDI file, even though I'm specifically selecting the MIDI option on the website. This is causing issues when putting it into the program since half the song is missing as a result. Has anyone else had a similar problem or know how to fix this issue?
  • MusicalSocksMusicalSocks
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 320
    Is it possible to merge tracks? Can someone please help with this
  • KavajuKavaju

Yes and no.
    There is no automated easy way to do this. Notes usualy get lost and the song turn to poop when people try different variations of this.

The way to do this properly without losing notes is to learn MML code and do this manually. It is however very rewarding and songs outside the 10k character count can be doable due to your ability to optimize the code.

My guide is still a work in progress but you can read up more on each command needed to know to pull something like this off. Once you understand the code, playing tetris with it is easy. Practice makes perfect.
    MusicalSocks
  • PoisoPoiso
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 460
    Bookmarked, might make a good use of it. I have some questions related to music sheets (non guide related) though.

Can you sell custom music sheets to other players in the market? Or are they only tradeable?
    Can you divide music sheets? Like, for example, divide a 10 use piece in 2 or 5 so my friends can use the sheet aswell, or do I have to create a few of those for my friends to use it aswell.

• KavajuKavaju
    Poiso wrote: »
    Bookmarked, might make a good use of it. I have some questions related to music sheets (non guide related) though.

Can you sell custom music sheets to other players in the market? Or are they only tradeable?
    Can you divide music sheets? Like, for example, divide a 10 use piece in 2 or 5 so my friends can use the sheet aswell, or do I have to create a few of those for my friends to use it aswell.

1) In other versions of this game this is possible, KMS2 however does not have this feature, no news afaik on if we will get this or not.
    2) You can not divide sheets to split the numbers of plays, no. There is however no limit on how many times a sheet can be traded. Custom praxis is for friends to repay with blanks to cover the cost of getting a full score, or to just trade it back after they played!
    Poiso
  • MusicalSocksMusicalSocks
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 320
    Kavaju wrote: »

Yes and no.
    There is no automated easy way to do this. Notes usualy get lost and the song turn to poop when people try different variations of this.

The way to do this properly without losing notes is to learn MML code and do this manually. It is however very rewarding and songs outside the 10k character count can be doable due to your ability to optimize the code.

My guide is still a work in progress but you can read up more on each command needed to know to pull something like this off. Once you understand the code, playing tetris with it is easy. Practice makes perfect.

I was reading your guide last night! Thanks for sharing it, it's amazing. I want to try and practice manually editing the songs this weekend!
    KavajuZanktus
  • SKillerSKiller
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 200
    looks great! I really wondered how to do that...
    thx!
  • StreIiziaStreIizia
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 300
    Is it better for me to play longer music or shorter music if I want to be farming for levels for the music? I know longer music gives more mastery but does anyone know if the extra time is actually worth it?
  • DandaDanda
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,020
    Opalthira wrote: »
    Adelvos wrote: »
    Is there a quick way to change the entire track's volume? With this MML I have, it seems like I have to manually change every single note in the track.

type v then a number,
    15 is the loudest 0 is the lowest

does the volume control go in front or the very back of the track, I was very confused when I was trying to add in increased volume for a song I'm trying to write?
  • AlfirianAlfirian
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 400
    You put the tempo+volume numbers at the beginning of the tracks. @Danda

My question is how do you sync tracks for a song that has more than one tempo?
  • ZolanaZolana
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 100
    My program doesn't have it where i can see the text of the mml. What do i do? Theres nothing to edit or copy in the bottom right corner.
  • AkerseAkerse
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 410
    edited 7:32AM October 18, 2018
    Hey, how do u get the mml code at the bottom, just downloaded 3MLE but dont seem to have anything to copy
  • CelestelleCelestelle
    Does anyone know how to work around tempo? The song that i wanted to compose went slow after i paste it to the blank music sheet. I tried editing the tempo in-game too but nothing changed.
  • CelestelleCelestelle
    Celestelle wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to work around tempo? The song that i wanted to compose went slow after i paste it to the blank music sheet. I tried editing the tempo in-game too but nothing changed.

nvm i figured it out ^^;
  • PeachPieePeachPiee
    The tracks in the 3ml editor were synced but when I copied and pasted it into the game sheet they didn't sync up. I don't know how to fix it. :/
  • PeachPieePeachPiee
    PeachPiee wrote: »
    The tracks in the 3ml editor were synced but when I copied and pasted it into the game sheet they didn't sync up. I don't know how to fix it. :/

ahh nevermind I got it :P
  • NirimetusNirimetus
    Thanks for the guide, at first I did struggle a bit but after a time I got the hang of it.

I would suggest you to add some midi files source sites, I use 2: Musescore and VGMusic, I wanted some latest electronic genre releases but couldn't find.

There's a small trick between the 3ml Editor and the game, some might mess up with it due to that.
    In the 3ml, the track 1 determine the tempo for the rest of the tracks, but in the game, that don't work.
    So all you have to do before past the code into the game is add TXXXVYY (where T is the Tempo and V the volume as others pointed out and, X and Y are the values you need/want) and past the code from 3ml.

Also, I noticed that you can use a single sheet from an instrument in any other instrument you might have, not sure if it was supposed to be like that or a bug as of now.

We also, depending on the music, need to skip a few tracks, or the sound will not be desirable. At first I got a bunch of musics that sounded like a harmonica was shoved in it even playing it on Harp.