May 27th is finally upon us. Please feel free to join us on the last day as the servers come down one by one. More details here: http://forums.maplestory2.nexon.net/discussion/46192
MapleStory 2's servers will be officially closing on May 27th: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/56486/service-discontinuation

My biggest fear for GMS2

KazeCaelumKazeCaelum
MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,475
edited 3:55AM May 3, 2018 in Suggestions and Feedback
I am really hyped for GMS2 but one thing keeps getting at me...
I really hope that Nexon keeps GMS2 FAR AWAY from p2w as possible. I'd want a game where I can work hard and compete with my friends and fellow thieves.

So my biggest suggestion for this game is to keep this game free.
DralicQuebyHealthMaxHisculesUnknovvnsKarisiILjordyveeYaZsShiTsuCCcarabrowand 1 other.

Comments

• DralicDralic
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,910
    I'm just happy that in Ms2 I won't have to buy auto loot on my pets and instead can unlock it in game. That was the only semi "p2w" thing I didn't care for in Ms1
    Sherrisylph_EpoophoronShockedpls
  • KazeCaelumKazeCaelum
    I just want it to stay competitive and fun. Like, no stat costumes and junk that's a clear advantage.
    DralicSherriShiTsuCC
  • DralicDralic
    Yea I know what you mean. The topic of "p2w" is always a sensitive one but I have faith things will work out :). We are just going to have to wait and see what the cash shop brings.
    KazeCaelum
  • DrakooonDrakooon
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 7,065
    There's no option 3? As in find a workaround to fix the problem? Rather than just choosing two failing options?

—Drakooon
    KazeCaelum
  • SherriSherri
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 8,580
    edited 7:50PM May 2, 2018
    Yes! If the game needs funding, just have a huge cash shop for cosmetics and the like. (hoping they are permanent that is)
    KazeCaelumDralic
  • KazeCaelumKazeCaelum
    Drakooon wrote: »
    There's no option 3? As in find a workaround to fix the problem? Rather than just choosing two failing options?

—Drakooon

that's what the comment section is for
  • ReploidShamReploidSham
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,670
    Pay-to-win puts a huge ability difference between paying and non paying players, it shouldn't have to come to where you need to pay to reach the top brackets.
    Microtransactions in this case should be reserved for
    *Looking Cool
    *Reducing the time it takes to hit a top bracket
    Anything else I'd consider potentially dangerous to the ingame economy and the playerbase.
    KazeCaelumHisculesKlamLakridsYaZs
  • DralicDralic
    edited 8:08PM May 2, 2018
    @Sherri From what I have been told and have read almost all of the items in the kms2 cash shop are permanent so that's good news :)
    KazeCaelumSherriMameShiba
  • KazeCaelumKazeCaelum
    Since this is the start of the GMS2, I figured it would be the best time to bring up this topic.
    Dralic
  • QlopeQlope
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,020
    In the end, this discussion will not matter to the ones who will make this game p2w (someday or not). Because cash is shinier than complains of the community.
    sylph_DanDK
  • KazeCaelumKazeCaelum
    Qlope wrote: »
    In the end, this discussion will not matter to the ones who will make this game p2w (someday or not). Because cash is shinier than complains of the community.
    Well, as customers, if we quit, they lose shiny, they need shiny, so then they make it fair.
    RyoManSherriMameShibacarabrow
  • FishpasteFishpaste
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,765
    Sherri wrote: »
    Yes! If the game needs funding, just have a huge cash shop for cosmetics and the like. (hoping they are permanent that is)

I will be so disappointed if I see cash shop equips only available for 90 days lol.

disapoint.png
  • ShenRyujinShenRyujin
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,395
    so far in after checking some stuff up on the game it doesnt seem pay to win (meso booster isnt p2w its pay to skip the grind) the only thing that is close to that idea is having gems in your fashion items which in my opinion i find very very uneeded no matter what even if its part of free to play but thats just opinion. however u can get rid of any fashion item u have laying in yur inventory for these special points to unlock the gem slots and this is where it might make or break the game it will depend how often and ez getting any regular fashion items from just grinding to trade them off since u will need hundreds of points to unlock a slot. i hate p2w games very much but i really hope ppl will look at the game fairly and determine if something is grind able or not. ive seen ppl call about anything p2w wen honestly some ppl just dont want to grind long hours which should still be fair since that mean progress and not going over the limit end that anyone can reach eventually but we will have to wait and see tbh.
    KazeCaelumRyoMan
  • FusionistFusionist
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,760
    KazeCaelum wrote: »
    I just want it to stay competitive and fun. Like, no stat costumes and junk that's a clear advantage.

Blech, stat costumes.....I've seen too much of that in Elsword lmao
  • FennecsFennecs
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 630
    I just hope they listen to the players
  • GononasGononas
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,575
    MS1 isnt p2w just saying.
    A game without pvp cant be p2w.

There will be benefits for real money in GMS2 like in any Online game nowadays.
    You have to differentiate between p2w and p2help
  • ChillBearChillBear
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 5,935
    As much as we like to discuss about it, the best way to make a company listen is to control your wallet. Don't like a feature? Don't buy into it. Hopefully others follow suit as well.
  • DanDKDanDK
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 33,645
    My biggest fears for GMS2, in order:
    1. No regional servers (with permanent latency, game is basically unplayable)
    2. Restart patch (game is playable but a large part of it will be braindead)
    3. P2W (game is playable and challenging but people can gain too many advantages through cash)
    KazeCaelum wrote: »
    Qlope wrote: »
    Well, as customers, if we quit, they lose shiny, they need shiny, so then they make it fair.
    ChillBear wrote: »
    As much as we like to discuss about it, the best way to make a company listen is to control your wallet. Don't like a feature? Don't buy into it. Hopefully others follow suit as well.

That would be true but.. the fact is that most of the time they still get more money from the people that stay, even if the game is heavily P2W. There's a reason F2P games tend to make the most money even though they are usually the most unbalanced compared to anything else. When it comes to actually making the decision, most people choose to stay and/or buy into the P2W, because they're already invested in the game. And so the company can continue to milk people more and more without suffering any consequences.
    Gononas wrote: »
    MS1 isnt p2w just saying.
    A game without pvp cant be p2w.

There will be benefits for real money in GMS2 like in any Online game nowadays.
    You have to differentiate between p2w and p2help

That's just silly semantics. Everyone knows what is meant when P2W is discussed.
    If you can buy gameplay advantage through cash, it's P2W. For a PvE environment, that means anything that helps you grind faster, earn stuff faster, become temporarily or permanently stronger than others are limited to, is P2W to a degree. It's all subjective how much it's regarded as such, though. Cosmetics, housing and pets usually aren't regarded as P2W because what they provided isn't measurable in the same degree that strength, items, level and riches are.
  • EpoophoronEpoophoron
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 610
    GMS2 will probably have similar P2W aspects as it predecessor has. For Nexon to find a balance between P2W and the community opinion, Nexon could implement cash-dependent aspects of GMS2 that do not give a competitive edge.

Such as: cosmetic items, axillary gameplay outside of the mobbing/bossing meta (mini-games, housing, player privileges, pets), grind enhancers (exp boost, drop boost, faster travel, forced mob spawning), cosmetic ability animations, etc.

An improvement from GMS that would be nice to see in GMS2 would be to have less of a P2W presence in the end-game parts of the game. This could be done by reducing the dependence of end-game item stats on cash-based improvements. An alternative would be to implement a system of crafting that has the ability to get top-tier, end-game items to serve as a F2P path to parallel the P2W model.

Let me know what you all think of these ideas, maybe we help foster a change in GMS2 to make the game experience better for everyone!

More Yay Less Pay
    carabrow
  • KazeCaelumKazeCaelum
    Epoophoron wrote: »
    GMS2 will probably have similar P2W aspects as it predecessor has. For Nexon to find a balance between P2W and the community opinion, Nexon could implement cash-dependent aspects of GMS2 that do not give a competitive edge.

Such as: cosmetic items, axillary gameplay outside of the mobbing/bossing meta (mini-games, housing, player privileges, pets), grind enhancers (exp boost, drop boost, faster travel, forced mob spawning), cosmetic ability animations, etc.

An improvement from GMS that would be nice to see in GMS2 would be to have less of a P2W presence in the end-game parts of the game. This could be done by reducing the dependence of end-game item stats on cash-based improvements. An alternative would be to implement a system of crafting that has the ability to get top-tier, end-game items to serve as a F2P path to parallel the P2W model.

Let me know what you all think of these ideas, maybe we help foster a change in GMS2 to make the game experience better for everyone!

More Yay Less Pay

There should be no stat advantages by paying nor HUGE time saved (It is fine to have a slight exp/drop boost but if the only sane way to get to min/max is spend years vs spend cash then that's not good).

Nexon should stick to what you stated, cosmetics and such without stats and make the game more apealing to more people by keeping it fair to all.
    DanDK