Please do not send inquiries to the Forum Moderators and Community Manager Cuddles regarding forum name changes. Exceptions are only made if the forum name violates the CoC. Thank you for understanding.
Closed

[Feedback] Housing

NXACuddlesNXACuddles
Maplestory 2 Rep: 58,105
Administrator
edited 8:58AM May 9, 2018 in Closed Beta Feedback
Please leave your feedback regarding the Housing System for the Closed Beta.
TassyHazure

Comments

• NXACuddlesNXACuddles
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 58,105
    Administrator
  • SikkatySikkaty
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,070
    I think a tutorial for the wiring/triggering system would be nice. It's great once you get the hang of it, but it took a decent amount of trial and error to figure out how to open the trigger editor and actually set up triggers. It would be a shame to have such a cool feature end up mostly unused due to players giving up on figuring it out, or not even knowing it was there in the first place.

(For those who're unaware, you can open the trigger editor from the computer object in the "Misc" section of the furniture catalog. Place it and interact with it to edit triggers)
    EdemoniMakeActionnzbengbengSuggDarkpixie99wabsolTheGamerChickVerloLouvainMitsuneand 4 others.
  • t3rryakit3rryaki
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 430
    It's definitely not easy to understand, so I haven't touched it since.
    VerloChlobitsMomoUise
  • TheUnknownOneTheUnknownOne
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,635
    A big issue I'm having with housing and designing is being restricted to a single view. I don't have free camera available when placing furniture and things of the sort, so if I wanted to put something in a specific place that's being covered by other decor, it's almost impossible to set it properly without constantly going in and out of furnishing mode just to make sure whatever I'm putting down is placed correctly.

So, adding the ability to freely move the camera during designing/furnishing would help greatly.
    iMakeActionEdemonMunchkinTiffAlexmowaywardbuttAvarosaLunarCynthiaDarkpixie99MarkMTheGamerChickand 18 others.
  • EdemonEdemon
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,310
    My issue with the housing system is that making a house with more than one floor isn't a viable option, since top view is completely scrapped and both the side view and the quarter view camera modes don't function properly if you try to use them. You'll always see the floor above you, and that makes it impossible to see the floor you're currently in. My suggestions to fixing this would be:

1-Implement a camera fading system where objects too close to your camera would look transparent
    2-Implement a camera fading system where objects between the camera and an area around your character look transparent. It wouldn't make the entire top floor vanish from the player's view, but it would allow the players to see their characters and their surroundings.
    And my personal favorite: 3-Make a floor feature on the housing system, so the players can define the vertical limits of their floors and choose to only see the floors they're currently in and the ones below them. For example, if your house has 3 floors and you're on the middle one, you would only see the first and second floors.
    ChearriAlexmoAgent_DragonfuryAvarosaLunarCynthiaSelfishGhostwabsolCalwynMarkMTheGamerChickand 15 others.
  • EdemonEdemon
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,310
    A big issue I'm having with housing and designing is being restricted to a single view. I don't have free camera available when placing furniture and things of the sort, so if I wanted to put something in a specific place that's being covered by other decor, it's almost impossible to set it properly without constantly going in and out of furnishing mode just to make sure whatever I'm putting down is placed correctly.

So, adding the ability to freely move the camera during designing/furnishing would help greatly.

I guess that the reason why the free camera is unavailable during furnishing is because W and S can be used to change the construction cursor's height, and A is assigned to hide or show the furnishing help menu. But come on, those 3 keys could easily be rearranged
    KnouvaelQeskreFeb
  • nzbengbengnzbengbeng
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 510
    Sikkaty wrote: »
    I think a tutorial for the wiring/triggering system would be nice. It's great once you get the hang of it, but it took a decent amount of trial and error to figure out how to open the trigger editor and actually set up triggers. It would be a shame to have such a cool feature end up mostly unused due to players giving up on figuring it out, or not even knowing it was there in the first place.

(For those who're unaware, you can open the trigger editor from the computer object in the "Misc" section of the furniture catalog. Place it and interact with it to edit triggers)

Agreed. In-game tutorials for the housing system would be great. Of course unless the intention was for us players to explore it ourselves :)
  • JBcristalJBcristal
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 830
    The control scheme feels... ridiculously unintuitive and uncomfortable to use, to be honest. The mouse targeting by click is pretty much useless, doing whatever it wants when you try to use it, always going to the front or over where you want it or the like. The arrow keys doing the main job while E, R and the Spacebar to the rest, while you have to use W and S to go up or down (Except actually using the scrolling wheel is faster, so...) ends up feeling incredibly awkward. An option to lock the camera would be good as well, or rather options to mess with the camera during building period.
    ...I mean, all in all, I still spent like an 1h+ on it, and I had my good chunk of fun with it, but there's a lot of things that would make it so much better. As it is, being honest, I don't even have much of a desire to revisit it now that I've made a solid design I am happy with.
    TassyKnouvaelQeskreChearriAvarosaRefletMarkMVerloTodasCurrieChlobitsand 3 others.
  • CassieCassie
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,785
    After toying around with the housing for a bit I have a couple points I want to make.

Housing itself is great, it's a nice feature where people can be creative and express themselves! I love the idea of it.
    BUT -- While the controls help list with housing are useful, the controls themselves are very unfriendly.
    • I think we should be able to rotate the block with R in our hands instead of having to use the directional keys and make it face the correct orientation, which can be really tedious when it would just be so much quicker and user friendly for it to be just R while holding it and R on placed furniture.
    • The height randomly goes up and this can be really confusing, it took me a bit to realize what was actually happening, unless the player specifically has the height change, it shouldn't randomly jump up. It makes us have to readjust and it's caused me to place like beds randomly in the sky for no reason.
    • I kind of wish there was another way to replace items without completely removing them and rebuilding them, like switching out if they're a similar type of item (ie: bed, wall block)

I think there's a bit that can be done to make it more intuitive and user friendly.
    TassyKnouvaelQeskreChearriMarkMVerloTodasKSibFayremaushunter1
  • KnouvaelQeskreKnouvaelQeskre
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,505
    Edemon wrote: »

I guess that the reason why the free camera is unavailable during furnishing is because W and S can be used to change the construction cursor's height, and A is assigned to hide or show the furnishing help menu. But come on, those 3 keys could easily be rearranged

This is my biggest problem with the housing by far. I really would enjoy housing more if the "W" "S" and "A" keys were simply just movement just like the rest of the Maple World. And having the our scroll wheel being our only up and down feature. In no way is the housing fun to play with when you constantly are going up and down when you want to move forward and backwards.

maushunter1LinChai
  • MarisaKirisameMarisaKirisame
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 820
    edited 1:03AM May 10, 2018
    change the starting size to 10 x 10 height 5
  • YorvaltYorvalt
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,835
    edited 2:36AM May 10, 2018
    Controls:
    It's really difficult to place a block/item with the keyboard.

Multi-Story
    The view gets blocked during building when you add a first floor to your house. So when you want to change something on a lower level, you either have to break open the floor to see what you are doing or start counting while taking small step down plus switching back to view mode to see what you have done was what you intended to do.

Longevity
    I could only save 3 templates. Gathering building blocks might not be a core activity, building could be that when we get more house slots or more template slots. I can build 4 houses now, but for example when Halloween comes I would like to build a themed build for that too. I know I can always rebuild a house, but sometimes its nice to save something. Especially with the limited space we get. You do not want put a Halloween room in your house for the rest of year.
    iMakeActionChearriAvarosaMarkMTodasLinChai
  • VioronVioron
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 440
    Hello! I would suggest that you change the controls:
    WASD is just moving, but not changing the construction cursor hight up or down. Then, notify the player of the scroll wheel function as apart of the tutorial, as I find it really annoying and hard to use the W key.
    DaibatsuDiceyTreeLazyPazzi
  • DaibatsuDaibatsu
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 715
    Issue: Every time I move on a horizontal plane, the height of my object decides to adjust itself.
    AvarosaLouvain
  • ChearriChearri
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 740
    I agree with those who stated that the housing controls are a bit hard to use. I am used to the WASD keys being able to be used camera movement around maps.
    Maybe also a zoom in and zoom out feature.
    For the future, if we wanted to build multi-tier housing, we need something so we can see only the floor we are on, otherwise building heights in housing would not matter much because we cannot see the floors (unless in free camera). I like how there is a free camera mode to move around, but it would be nice if we could switch between that and basic mode, if not, just for housing only purposes. Because when going back to basic mode, it is back to top down view. Now when visiting another house, I do not know if these features are available.

Overall, I believe the housing is a great idea and cant wait for what comes out.
  • AulynAulyn
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 2,855
    edited 2:07PM May 10, 2018
    I have to agree with a lot of these comments, particularly about the difficulty of the controls.
    But still had fun creating !
    (I will definitely like creating a lot of houses for the future ♡.)
    BagoLazyDeathy
  • HunterXHunterHunterXHunter
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 545
    I feel once you purchase a housing item you should be able to put in an unlimited number without having to purchase more of the same piece. For example, I was trying to create a second floor using transparent blocks as my floor tiles and when I purchased them I noticed in the tooltip it said I only owned one and once I had placed it, It would ask me to purchase more. Now if it was not in beta I would have had to spend way too many merits on simple blocks which I feel is very unfair.
    KSibJibyLinChai
  • kawingshekkawingshek
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 6,850
    edited 1:25AM May 14, 2018
    Took a long night to play around with housing. Controls were hard to use at start.
    The computer panel and trigger control system probably needs a tutorial. Didn't bother to try any of those out yet so I can't share my feedback with it.

Really need a way to change camera angles or being able to move the building tile around without going up or down.
    Currently not planning on making a good looking dream house but using all the interactable items as a trophy room to collect if people visit me.
    LinChai
  • ThyreonThyreon
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 820
    The housing is super fun to play with good job with that! :)

Cons tho:
    - Making ''upstairs'' is pretty pointless since the the bottom floor will be covered, so the upstairs could be transparent when youre under?
    - The ''points'' you get from putting certain elements in your house is a good way to get you started but the 2ndary objectives like ''Obstacle turrets'' and stuff like that could have hoover over explanation pop up!
    -The ability to drag and put multiple floor/wall tiles at a time
    - The fact that you have to waste a whole row of blocks to make a background wall is a bummer since chancing floor is possible without raising the floor level.

The ability to make actual rooms for example for crafting (which is a really REALLY nice thing to have in your own house!)

Overall the whole housing looks so nice and fun to me. Spam placing stuff around sometimes makes your game laggy and requires a restart but thats beta for you probably and the UI is a bit too huge.
    BagoDarkpixie99LazyKSibLinChai
  • DrYoshiyahuDrYoshiyahu
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 7,965
    Forum Moderator
    edited 12:30AM May 11, 2018
    One thing that would be extremely helpful is a way to paint blocks. If I want the entire base of my house to be grass blocks, that's as much as 625 blocks I have to place one at a time. The same goes for walls. Allow us to click a corner, click the opposite corner, and fill everything on the inside. Then give us an undo button just in case.

The current click-to-place system might not be an issue for people on their own server, but as an Australian stuck on the American server, it is extremely frustrating are tiresome trying to place all those blocks with the latency.
    Sikkaty wrote: »

And yeah, this definitely needs to happen. At the very least, call it the "Trigger Controller" so that people searching for it can find it.
    Darkpixie99Pazzi
This discussion has been closed.