Please do not send inquiries to the Forum Moderators and Community Manager Cuddles regarding forum name changes. Exceptions are only made if the forum name violates the CoC. Thank you for understanding.

But I don't wanna tank...

MoxarMoxar
Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,475
edited 2:18PM May 2, 2018 in Knight
"Waaaaa I dun wanna tank!" he screamed like a baby.
"What else can a knight do?" she asked oh so casually.
He paused. Nothing came to mind. He shook his head as he went through his skills remembering what each one did.
"It's ok I'm sure we can find someone who knows," she consoled him.

So guys what else can a knight do? They will never have the best possible DPS but can they dish out enough damage to make a decent contribution to the party aside from their buffs?

Comments

• TrizerTrizer
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 895
    edited 4:52PM May 2, 2018
    Tagging mobs with Throw Shield.
    Wich is very usefull for leeching XP from everyone around you...without killing anything.
    That's the dark secret of the Knight. We are the final form of the cockroach. The king of the parasites.

Joke aside, no we don't have any other purpose for a party. That's why knights shines very late game, when healers can't keep squishy classes alive anymore.
    ArchmonkMintyliciousSlimCokeSilverSkyway
  • MoxarMoxar
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,475
    Dam I was hoping to try out a DPS knight lolz
  • sora195sora195
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,350
    @Moxar you can still try building a dps knight no one knows how things will go for the 2nd class advancements
  • NorthboundNorthbound
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 3,045
    sora195 wrote: »
    @Moxar you can still try building a dps knight no one knows how things will go for the 2nd class advancements

There are no 2nd job advancements in MS2.
  • KniGht_LiGhtKniGht_LiGht
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 865
    dps knight it is AHHAA
  • LChaos2LChaos2
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 630
    They can be a worse version of berserker if you don't feel like tanking.
  • PsYDaniPsYDani
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 780
    edited 11:55PM July 23, 2018
    Moxar wrote: »
    "Waaaaa I dun wanna tank!" he screamed like a baby.
    "What else can a knight do?" she asked oh so casually.
    He paused. Nothing came to mind. He shook his head as he went through his skills remembering what each one did.
    "It's ok I'm sure we can find someone who knows," she consoled him.

So guys what else can a knight do? They will never have the best possible DPS but can they dish out enough damage to make a decent contribution to the party aside from their buffs?

Knight main here, you cannot tank with a Knight, the best thing you can do is provide Immunity to all damage for 8 seconds, as proven to be useless since Balrog likes to spam his attacks during the Tristan phase.
    And believe me i do try to tank and aggro Balrog but it seems most of the time impossible since the randomness of the A.I. and without a Lure skill.
    Knights have underwhelming HP and Def, they have no useful abillity to aggro mobs to them, and their buffs are usually useless since most party's are spread out during raids.
    SilverSkyway
  • SubglaciousSubglacious
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 2,575
    PsYDani wrote: »
    And believe me i do try to tank and aggro Balrog but it seems most of the time impossible since the randomness of the A.I. and without a Lure skill.

Aggro is random for most of it like the other bosses, but during add summons he will always target closest enemy which lets Knight tank and keep him away from ppl clearing adds. Also when he does his repeated dashes, the second and third ones will always go towards the enemy that's nearest after he finishes the prior dash.
    Peni
  • acruz34acruz34
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 620
    I feel like a parasite now.
  • HicciHicci
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,380
    edited 1:57PM July 24, 2018
    Northbound wrote: »
    sora195 wrote: »

There are no 2nd job advancements in MS2.

We don't have it yet but it's definitely a thing: http://forums.maplestory2.nexon.net/discussion/35827/kms2-2nd-job-awakening-skills
  • OouOou
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,035
    If the game had a better NPC aggro/AI system I feel like a Knight could shine with some tweaks to their Iron Shield.

But to answer your question... Knights may appear as a tank class but I don't think MS2 really even need a tank class. Knights are more of a support class since bosses/monsters don't have a consistent targeting/aggro AI system that I've noticed.

I recently got my Knight to level 50 and did a few runs of Fire Dragon and I don't feel very useful for the team. It's hard to give buffs to all of the party members and I feel like my primary job is to spam Shield Toss for the debuff and DPS when I can.
    Even during the times where Bulwark can be impactful, it's not necessary and I think when you are playing with strangers you are less likely to trust the Knight to time it properly.

I feel like the Knight class would need a lot of tweaks to be wanted/needed for end game content with the way things are in CBT2.
  • SaintoneSaintone
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 4,365
    Fire Dragon is a raid where Knight has very little and arguably non-existent benefit. By now perhaps you've tried Balrog where Knight begins to have serious use. Chaos Devorak is another content where having at least one Knight is extremely advised, if not mandatory.

Knight shines in exceedingly difficult content. It offers the party a chance to gather their bearings or work around otherwise difficult to manage mechanics.
    OouPeni
  • OouOou
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,035
    Saintone wrote: »
    Fire Dragon is a raid where Knight has very little and arguably non-existent benefit. By now perhaps you've tried Balrog where Knight begins to have serious use. Chaos Devorak is another content where having at least one Knight is extremely advised, if not mandatory.

Knight shines in exceedingly difficult content. It offers the party a chance to gather their bearings or work around otherwise difficult to manage mechanics.

Completely agree, I've gotten around to doing a few runs of Balrog now and it's so rewarding and fun to play as a Knight who (most of the time) knows what he's doing. Also, I am not sure how much damage the other classes typically do during a full run of Balrog but I am doing on average 20~25 m. damage depending on how efficient the party is so damage output isn't that bad either.
  • GremmiesGremmies
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 850
    edited 7:37PM August 10, 2018
    DPS Knight is great and totally viable
    XxPoseidonxXKupoNutPeni