Dual wield dagger or shield?

SugarspoonSugarspoon
Maplestory 2 Rep: 705
edited 7:10AM April 30, 2018 in Thief
I would like to raise the question regarding how the dual wield system works, is it more effective to use a shield and one weapon in this game compared to a combo of two offensive weapons?

How are the combat stats calculated?

Please share your experiences. :)
  1. What will you be wielding?72 votes
    1. Dual Wield Weapon
       86% (62 votes)
    2. Weapon + Shield
       14% (10 votes)

Comments

• KewkkyKewkky
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 3,345
    Our job as thieves is DPS, not lower DPS + higher survival. With proper play, we can survive regardless of being a glassy class, so why lower the potential DPS?
    DexlessBrötchen
  • SugarspoonSugarspoon
    Well, my question was how the damage was calculated in MapleStory 2, if we do actually get a significant dps bonus from using 2 daggers, then of course you would go that way. This is usually the case for auto attack focused games, but since MapleStory is a skill mashing game I thought maybe you could get by having one good dagger with a shield and still the output would stay the same.

So how does the math work in MapleStory 2? :)
  • sidhosidho
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,105
    I mean, I cant imagine a scenario where two daggers wouldnt be more effective than one dagger in terms of raw damage. This is purely from logic, and not from actual calculations though
  • AcaidianAcaidian
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 2,935
    Like the others have stated. Logical thinking would tell us that going as a pure DPS you would never choose the option that would be limiting your potential damage output. Of course, I'm not 100% sure if there is a bonus for using two daggers over one or not. However, I can't imagine that you wouldn't get extra damage for using two, that would be pretty silly.
  • SugarspoonSugarspoon
    Acaidian wrote: »
    I can't imagine that you wouldn't get extra damage for using two, that would be pretty silly.

Well, we are talking about Nexon :D
  • AcaidianAcaidian
    Sugarspoon wrote: »
    Acaidian wrote: »
    I can't imagine that you wouldn't get extra damage for using two, that would be pretty silly.

Well, we are talking about Nexon :D

Hmm fair enough! Haha
  • AequariusAequarius
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,025
    edited 6:06PM May 3, 2018
    Dual Wield is much better, there are skills that calculates the damage that each dagger offers, if dagger 1 has 100 attack and dagger 2 is a shield... then you basically hit 0 for half the hit

Edit : Info from KMS2 Current, however I'd reserve weapon talk until we know which patch GMS2 comes out with
    AcaidianGamerFiend
  • AcaidianAcaidian

Aequarius wrote: »
    Dual Wield is much better, there are skills that calculates the damage that each dagger offers, if dagger 1 has 100 attack and dagger 2 is a shield... then you basically hit 0 for half the hit

Edit : Info from KMS2 Current, however I'd reserve weapon talk until we know which patch GMS2 comes out with

Yeah that's basically exactly what I figured.
    Xixus
  • SeberoniiSeberonii
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 200
    This also raises the question if there will be any sort of shield with attack benefits for the thief class specifically? Though, I highly doubt it would compete with the potential damage output of dual dagger..
  • lolicomplexlolicomplex
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 750
    gonna be throwin' lots of poison vials i wouldnt worry to much about it XD
  • ParasomniaParasomnia
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,225
    as many daggers as possible :D
    Shields? seriously?
  • SugarspoonSugarspoon
    gonna be throwin' lots of poison vials i wouldnt worry to much about it XD

Yeah, I heard the poison vials are the way to go for easy levling...
  • DrandelDrandel
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,100
    Yeah, use shields to block a single attack and then backstab them for a status effect like poison.
  • SugarspoonSugarspoon
    So...just fyi guys, I tried running single knife vs dual, barely any difference. The only thing that maplestory 2 seems to take from the offhand is the stats other than it's weapon damage, the mainhand weapon is the majority of the damage calculation... So if you ask me, I would use a shield with LUK if I got the option.

I knew Nexon would do something weird like this!
    GamerFiend
  • GamerFiendGamerFiend
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 620
    So it's ok to go either route in terms of dual daggers or dag/shield?!
  • SugarspoonSugarspoon
    GamerFiend wrote: »
    So it's ok to go either route in terms of dual daggers or dag/shield?!

Well, to be fair, I have not seen what the shields look like or if global will have shields.
  • WedrownikWedrownik
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 625
    I will check it for sure after comming back home :3 That what I noticed during changing daggers for much better (+70w.att more on each), when I changed this on main hand, my total dmg really increased a lot but when put also second dagger, it gives me meaby +5 total dmg? Something like that.
    For me it needs calculations, what is better, survi with LUK stats or a bit dmg more with offensive stats.
    Dagger+shield thief reminds me this cool look from the MapleStory1 :3
  • SuvenSuven
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 510
    Unfortunately in GMS2, some skills cannot be used without double dagger (as of CBT2, don't remember if this was a thing in CBT1). So there is no such thing as dagger and shield for thief in gms2. Main hand weapon determines base attack, offhand only gives bonus stat and gear score.
  • StarkusStarkus
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,470
    When I saw this post, I clicked right away.
    I played KMS2 with this build back then, for two years of when I was playing.
    I like the idea, but this was only back when main hand dagger wasn't your source of attack, but BOTH daggers were.
    This lead to Thieves having to have two +11 and up daggers to do any damage at all, and participate in raids,
    but thanks to Restart, the Thief you see now in GMS2 changed that problem.

Having experince of "Shadower Style" (because Shadowers could use shields too, and used only one dagger) It is good to fight against mobs with grinding on the fields, and because if you notice, Thief can still use Blade Dance, meaning, Thief is still good for farming, and have higher defense.
    The flaws of having a shield, is that you lose the main purpose of what a Thief is meant to be, a DPS melee class, and the gear score drops greatly, making Thief feel a lot more weaker. It would especially be hard to try and find a shield with LUK.

Overall, I like using this style, and I felt special when using it. Still, it is best to use for the fun of the class and experimenting, than to really go out there in the game and try and raid Balrog or something.
    bolder_taste