[GUIDE] Thief Class

Comments

• UberchaoUberchao
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,325
    I'm baffled as to how all these builds ignore the sheer utility of Quick Step. This class can't exactly afford to miss out on ways to avoid death.
    SuperFunkWagonMahmuKillerkonnat
  • lillucariolillucario
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 820
    Mind breaker is pretty much the only one you need as far as this current content goes. Even with it's 2 second cooldown it gets you out of danger reliably and gives you more spirit back if you use it to dash through the target.
  • SuperFunkWagonSuperFunkWagon
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 665
    Uberchao wrote: »
    I'm baffled as to how all these builds ignore the sheer utility of Quick Step. This class can't exactly afford to miss out on ways to avoid death.

You are correct. Quick Step is mandatory in every build, if only just one point.
    7c0564db93.png

This is basically my final build after hours upon hours of raiding and testing.

This is hands down the best build for single-target DPS in this current CBT version of the game. I have no idea how much things will change once the game is released, so this information is completely useless, but this is definitely the best, with maybe a very small amount of wiggle room for somersault kick and vicious cuts.

Letting the poison tics go off instead of expending them on Surprise Attack is vastly superior. At best, I think Surprise Attack can be used for when you know a Boss is going to be unhittable. With max Cunning Tactics, you will have 100% uptime on Poison Edge stacks, allowing you to never use Double Slash and always use Vicious Cuts. Even without haste, your vicious cuts will do so much damage thanks to Ruthless.
  • lillucariolillucario
    edited 2:18AM May 16, 2018
    Messing with that build briefly it's definitely on par (and actually a bit better cause less rng to worry about) with the others. I think at that point it'd be a matter of playstyle for the person on which build they would want to go with\

EDIT: Tinkered with both more and both are viable I would say. I personally prefer the haste build but the vicious cuts build works wonders too. Also you're right about letting your poison flow instead of using it on surprise attack... Was missing out on so much damage by trying to use surprise attack often instead of letting the poison sit...
  • lillucariolillucario
    edited 2:21AM May 16, 2018
    The final build I'd go with for the (current) max haste build thanks to some of the info @SuperFunkWagon provided about surprise attack.
    61bd10bddb.jpg
    I'm missing 2 SP cause of some trophies but they'd go into poison vial if I had them
    Bamboozler
  • AlriimAlriim
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 710
    What is the rotation for Blade Dance Build and Poison build ? .-.
  • AlriimAlriim
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 710
    edited 10:41AM July 19, 2018
    Thanks for the guide!
    Bamboozler
  • MareSEphemeralMareSEphemeral
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,865
    This is what I'm using now. I'm actually mad I that I have to waste 6 SP on poison edge to unlock surprise attack.

dutbkL7.png
    Voia
    edited 11:44PM July 21, 2018
    Phew, finished all 30 dungeon reward runs for the week. I decided to record the last Fire Dragon run and post it to kinda add to the above skill build i posted to show how I use it.

Voia
  • HosuHosu
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,850
    This is what I'm using now. I'm actually mad I that I have to waste 6 SP on poison edge to unlock surprise attack.

dutbkL7.png

From your video performance its clear you're a great Thief, but I'm a bit puzzled by the skill build.

Is there a reason Somersault Kick is taken to 8? Mind Breaker to 8? No Ruthless Guile considering its synergy with Vicious Cuts?

Not criticizing it, just interested in the reasons behind the choices, since I've heard different opinions and builds being endorsed.
    Check how much damage those 2 skills when they're at level 2 (min required for cuts) and higher levels.

I have them both at 9 now because I managed to get extra SP, but there is a huge difference, especially for Mind Breaker. If you actually look at the description, the MB skill adds 50% per point, and you'll notice how much more you do with it with more points. I use the skill as often as I can because I also have quick step to get me out of bad situations, so having MB on cooldown all the time isn't that bad for thieves.
    Somersault Kick doesn't add as much with more points compared to MB, but still pretty significant.

The point of the build to have constant quick bursts of damage, which works well for when you need to move around a lot and chase, or bosses that require a lot of hit and run. You need to constantly pay attention to your cooldowns to make good use of it. I've tested the damage from using this build with constant rotations and compared it to just spamming max level Cuts/Edge and it does roughly 50% more damage. And this is on an immobile dummy, the gap would be even bigger on bosses that actually move and limit your opportunities.
    bolder_taste
  • XarbsXarbs
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 200
    What do you guys set for macros??
  • FokkoFokko
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 430
    great guide
  • RaznRazn
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 425
    edited 9:00AM July 27, 2018
    Should max Mind Breaker. Trust me, I'm a thief.
    edited 3:49AM August 1, 2018
    Hahaha I finally managed to get an all thief Balrog going, it was tough because thief is so rare past Fire Dragon. This was our first clear after 3 tries. The first try was with only 2 people to test vial damage on adds, and the second was a test run with 3 people because we couldn't find a 4th, so we actually cleared with a full party on the first try. We did die a bunch but it's definitely doable with all thieves without losing all revives (or even deathless) with more practice just to let you all know. One of us had to go sleep because it was getting late so we couldn't try for better runs after the first time.

We killed adds with vials lol. Having 2 people dedicated to killing adds with vials was actually sufficient.

LrbpHMN.jpg

I apologize if it didn't belong here, but I didn't want to make a new thread for it, and I want to let the thieves that have a hard time getting a Balrog party know that an all thief party is definitely a thing.
    Subglaciousbolder_tasteCathie
    Dark Descent example with Thief. I did this hours before the end of the beta.

I literally never see anyone talking in the forums about this dungeon, as well as the treasure dungeon. But with dark descent the point is to survive, not to kill quickly. Best advice is to not play aggressively. Don't try to face tank too much, and don't worry about taking longer to kill everything.

Good gear does matter, high defense will let you make more mistakes, but knowing the mechanics of each stage is the most important. You can still die very quickly if you don't know how to handle some stage (like I did on stage 18).

Sorry for double post.