Please do not send inquiries to the Forum Moderators and Community Manager Cuddles regarding forum name changes. Exceptions are only made if the forum name violates the CoC. Thank you for understanding.

[GUIDE] Thief Class

BamboozlerBamboozler
Maplestory 2 Rep: 19,585
edited 12:13AM May 22, 2018 in Thief
Click here to visit the Class Guide Megathread!
xd78zSx.png

Note: This guide is currently under construction. Updates coming shortly!

The Thief uses movement speed and evasion to their advantage in order to gain the upper hand against their foes. This class is also well known for dealing damage over time through the use of poison and being able to increase their movement speed in and out of battle!

Nexon Class Difficulty
uG3cyZq.png

Pros and Cons
Pros
- Stackable poison effect drains enemy HP fast.
- Very high attack speed and combo potential.

Cons
- Short attack range. Hassle to farm enemies and evade boss attacks.
- Weak base damage. Relies heavily on poison to inflict heavy damage on enemies.
Pros and Cons by AyumiLove

Stat Overview
Role: Melee DPS
Weapon: Daggers
Attribute: Toxic
Primary Stats: LUCK + DEX

RruxBN5.png

Skills
ATQBoXf.png
Level 1-10

dMMwZO5.png0DxUPnr.pngRh0FX6w.png3tsAqCA.png

Level 10-20

wgtwxXw.pngdPpPjTZ.pngSNlk1d7.pngTd0wFKB.png

Level 20-30

9URWuIg.pngMgPdrKp.pngcpPFwBh.png

Level 30-40

xWIhDZw.pngoEfU70a.png9HYXyAg.png

Level 40+

KCfH6gF.pngfmZxaKt.png7sT3XCr.png

2016 KMS2 Skills: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuD-cgdP6l8

Strategies
First: Blade Dance Build
3eQO1sT.png
In Multi-target situations, this build is the undisputed king. You attack everything around you, and you constantly rebuild your spirit faster than you can drain it, even with Haste up. Using my current gear (gearscore 1749), I was consistently doing upwards to 60k DPS over 2 minutes on three dummies. This is taking into account that I did not get any dodge procs on Retaliation, so this damage can be even higher in an actual dungeon.

With single target, I was getting 10k DPS over 2 minutes. Can't build spirit fast enough without at least three targets, and having to use Double Slash (even at level 8) doesn't compensate for the loss in your spirit. You can move some stuff around (taking away points from Double Slash to put into Somersault, which is what I usually go with), but it still won't be as good as the other builds listed. Still, this is my go-to build for Dungeons, as even though the boss will take longer to kill, the mobs will be minced meat.
Created by @SuperFunkWagon

Second: Vicious Cuts Build
rFZsqya.png
I see a lot of people using this build in dungeons and grinding.

Stop it.

This build is pretty bad, and here are the reasons why:

First, you need to be able to hit three targets consistently with Vicious Cuts in order to keep your spirit up. Otherwise, you will run out faster than you would if you were using Blade Dance. The positioning for these three targets is a lot harder than that of Blade Dance's as well, so you're making things more difficult for yourself.

Secondly, the DPS is actually -worse- than if I were to use Blade Dance. With three targets, always keeping haste up, using Somersault when available and keeping vial up, I only did 57k DPS over 2 minutes, compared to Blade Dance's 60k. It's a harder build for worse DPS in the multi-target area.

As far as Single-Target goes, it does bode better than Blade Dance does, but not by much. 10.5k DPS over 2 minutes as opposed to 10k. And I run out of spirit faster. In a dungeon scenario, Blade Dance is just better, as you hit more targets and it's easier to use.

Third: Poison Build
DgKDlQb.png
So this is everyone's -least- favorite build. There's a lot of people who think it's the best, but never use it because the others are easier to use. I'm here to tell you that it ain't that hard to use, and it's the best single-target build out of all three of these.

Multi-Target wise, this build is complete garbage. 33k DPS max over 2 minutes. Yeah, no. Go with the other two (or just Blade Dance, because Vicious Cuts sucks). This was with a hours of testing, a lot of practice with the rotation, and always having poison up, even after Surprise Attack usage.

Single-Target, however, is where this build truly shines. 20k DPS over 2 minutes. That utterly smashes the other two. Now, keep in mind, that since I was using the guild house dummies for testing, this number is not entirely accurate; both vial and Surprise Attack would hit all three targets. However, after doing some calculating, over 2 minutes, those two attacks would only result in a dps gain of about 3k DPS. This is also taking into account that the vial throws for the other two builds for single-target also hit all three targets, so their DPSs were inflated by about 1k DPS as well. So, in theory, the numbers would be more like 17k vs 9k and 9.5k single-target.

Poison Build is the clear winner here.

However, there's an even better version of the Poison Build, which gains about 3k DPS overall.

Introducing, max haste!
vl9BKOw.png

Ruthless Guile is decent, and it sounds good on paper, but think of what Haste does for you: increases your physical attack by 16%, and increases your attack speed and movement speed by 21%.

Why is that good?

More procs. That's literally the reason why. You get more procs from your Double Slash to keep your Poison Edge's dot up with, which in turn allows your Surprise Attack to consume two poisons more often. It's a flat DPS increase, and it also buffs your damage by 16% as well. It's flat out better than Ruthless Guile. With this build, I was getting upwards to 23k dps single-target.

Forth: Single Target
e763214948.jpg
Created by @lillucario

YouTube Showcase
Thief lvl 1-30

Thief lvl 40 Gameplay

MordaklorGhastinoirnebayotBaxterologyBonfireminDarkalMwoonAlexandiwasJasefragmentaland 18 others.
  1. Did you find this information helpful?125 votes
    1. Yes
       77% (96 votes)
    2. No
       23% (29 votes)

Comments

• sidhosidho
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,115
    thanks so much!!!!!
    Bamboozler
  • BamboozlerBamboozler
    sidho wrote: »
    thanks so much!!!!!

No problem :) Check out the Megathread for now if you want since it has more information.

I'm currently updating all the threads as we speak :)
  • iwasJaseiwasJase
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,095
  • BamboozlerBamboozler
    iwasJase wrote: »
    contributing some videos for reference and match-up knowledge

- basic combos
    - thief vs knight
    - thief vs heavy gunner
    - thief vs berzerker
    - thief vs mage
    - thief vs priest
    - thief vs assassin
    - thief vs archer
    - mirror march (thief vs thief)

credit and source reading korean is hard af

Thanks for the videos, I'll check them out at some point tonight or tomorrow. :)
    abdi
  • SugarspoonSugarspoon
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 805
    Would be nice with some more in depth info regarding the stats. What does 1 luck actually give us and such, do they scale differently as we level up and so on.
  • BamboozlerBamboozler
    edited 12:06AM May 2, 2018
    Sugarspoon wrote: »
    Would be nice with some more in depth info regarding the stats. What does 1 luck actually give us and such, do they scale differently as we level up and so on.

What each stat does is listed near the top of the Megathread. As for how they scale, it won't be confirmed until GMS2 comes.
  • MordaklorMordaklor
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,410
    good guide thanks :)
    Bamboozler
  • BamboozlerBamboozler
    Mordaklor wrote: »
    good guide thanks :)

Glad you liked it! Stay tuned for new information in the future. :)
  • BaxterologyBaxterology
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,380
    Do you know what class I should be? I think maybe thief or knight.
  • BamboozlerBamboozler
    Do you know what class I should be? I think maybe thief or knight.

It really depends on you and your playstyle. They also have different difficulty levels when it comes to mastering the class. Your best bet would be to try both in the CBT if you got invited as see what one you like more.
  • BamboozlerBamboozler
    The first version of the Thief guide is now complete. The strategies section will be added as GMS2 strategies develop. Additionally, all information will be translated to better reflect GMS2 as information becomes available.
  • BloodHoodBloodHood
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 410
    looks amazing
    Bamboozler
  • KokubyakuinKokubyakuin
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 400
    Damn, this is the old patch, it's different from the current CMS patch.
  • BamboozlerBamboozler

I took the screenshots less than 24 hours ago so I doubt it. :D
  • KokubyakuinKokubyakuin
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 400
    Bamboozler wrote: »

I took the screenshots less than 24 hours ago so I doubt it. :D

In CMS, they increased the range of thief attack to 3m, and it's still 2m in your picture, also Haste will not be gone under 10% sp now, these are the major difference between CMS patch and your picture. Just point it out, not saying it's wrong or anything, just curiosity.
  • BamboozlerBamboozler
    edited 11:44PM May 7, 2018
    In CMS, they increased the range of thief attack to 3m, and it's still 2m in your picture, also Haste will not be gone under 10% sp now, these are the major difference between CMS patch and your picture. Just point it out, not saying it's wrong or anything, just curiosity.

Fair enough, the English patch was less than 2 days old when I used it so I assumed it would be up to date. Regardless, once CBT comes all of the skill info will be replaced with more accurate images. :)
  • SugarspoonSugarspoon
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 805
    Anyone know if spirit thief are considered with dot damage or if it is only the initial hit?
  • BamboozlerBamboozler
    Sugarspoon wrote: »
    Anyone know if spirit thief are considered with dot damage or if it is only the initial hit?

It states 'on hit' so I would assume that it is only per attack, not per tick of poison.
  • NightThiefNightThief
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 705
    Hmmm, will be interesting
  • SuperFunkWagonSuperFunkWagon
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 795
    I've been testing out some builds on the dummies in the Guild House, and I'd like to share my findings.

Note that I won't be giving any exact numbers, as it's hard to -not- attack all three dummies (in terms of testing for single target vs. AoE).

We'll go with three different builds, plus a comparison for one of these three builds.

First: Blade Dance Build
    3eQO1sT.png
    In Multi-target situations, this build is the undisputed king. You attack everything around you, and you constantly rebuild your spirit faster than you can drain it, even with Haste up. Using my current gear (gearscore 1749), I was consistently doing upwards to 60k DPS over 2 minutes on three dummies. This is taking into account that I did not get any dodge procs on Retaliation, so this damage can be even higher in an actual dungeon.

With single target, I was getting 10k DPS over 2 minutes. Can't build spirit fast enough without at least three targets, and having to use Double Slash (even at level 8) doesn't compensate for the loss in your spirit. You can move some stuff around (taking away points from Double Slash to put into Somersault, which is what I usually go with), but it still won't be as good as the other builds listed. Still, this is my go-to build for Dungeons, as even though the boss will take longer to kill, the mobs will be minced meat.

Second: Vicious Cuts Build
    rFZsqya.png
    I see a lot of people using this build in dungeons and grinding.

Stop it.

This build is pretty bad, and here are the reasons why:

First, you need to be able to hit three targets consistently with Vicious Cuts in order to keep your spirit up. Otherwise, you will run out faster than you would if you were using Blade Dance. The positioning for these three targets is a lot harder than that of Blade Dance's as well, so you're making things more difficult for yourself.

Secondly, the DPS is actually -worse- than if I were to use Blade Dance. With three targets, always keeping haste up, using Somersault when available and keeping vial up, I only did 57k DPS over 2 minutes, compared to Blade Dance's 60k. It's a harder build for worse DPS in the multi-target area.

As far as Single-Target goes, it does bode better than Blade Dance does, but not by much. 10.5k DPS over 2 minutes as opposed to 10k. And I run out of spirit faster. In a dungeon scenario, Blade Dance is just better, as you hit more targets and it's easier to use.

Third: Poison Build
    DgKDlQb.png
    So this is everyone's -least- favorite build. There's a lot of people who think it's the best, but never use it because the others are easier to use. I'm here to tell you that it ain't that hard to use, and it's the best single-target build out of all three of these.

Multi-Target wise, this build is complete garbage. 33k DPS max over 2 minutes. Yeah, no. Go with the other two (or just Blade Dance, because Vicious Cuts sucks). This was with a hours of testing, a lot of practice with the rotation, and always having poison up, even after Surprise Attack usage.

Single-Target, however, is where this build truly shines. 20k DPS over 2 minutes. That utterly smashes the other two. Now, keep in mind, that since I was using the guild house dummies for testing, this number is not entirely accurate; both vial and Surprise Attack would hit all three targets. However, after doing some calculating, over 2 minutes, those two attacks would only result in a dps gain of about 3k DPS. This is also taking into account that the vial throws for the other two builds for single-target also hit all three targets, so their DPSs were inflated by about 1k DPS as well. So, in theory, the numbers would be more like 17k vs 9k and 9.5k single-target.

Poison Build is the clear winner here.

However, there's an even better version of the Poison Build, which gains about 3k DPS overall.

Introducing, max haste!
    vl9BKOw.png

Ruthless Guile is decent, and it sounds good on paper, but think of what Haste does for you: increases your physical attack by 16%, and increases your attack speed and movement speed by 21%.

Why is that good?

More procs. That's literally the reason why. You get more procs from your Double Slash to keep your Poison Edge's dot up with, which in turn allows your Surprise Attack to consume two poisons more often. It's a flat DPS increase, and it also buffs your damage by 16% as well. It's flat out better than Ruthless Guile. With this build, I was getting upwards to 23k dps single-target.

This concludes my testing and information. I just wanted to share what I found. These tests aren't entirely accurate, but there as accurate as I could get them to be. If anyone has any opinions or corrections they'd like to share, please, by all means, share! I'm trying to find the most viable build to do tons of damage with, so I would like it if anyone were to share their findings as well.

As for PvP, just max vial, somersault, and surprise attack, and you're good to go really.
    LottaLeanSapatonaMahmu_Lenneth