Learn everything about the Guilded Glory update this month from the patch notes!

>> http://forums.maplestory2.nexon.net/discussion/45646/

[MEGATHREAD] Class Guide

Comments

• BamboozlerBamboozler
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 19,715
    edited 4:57AM May 8, 2018
    MicahKJ wrote: »
    Do you have any ideas what classes will be better for solo players, or what each class struggles with (i.e. mana, mobility)?

Obviously, the mages will struggle with mana, but it looks like the archer classes and maybe even the assassin could struggle with that department as well.

As for mobility, the heavy gunner seems kinda limited.

And as of now, the knight seems to be the only tank in the game, so solo players would thrive on him, but classes like rouge or even priest seem like they will be able to hold their own as well.

Lmk what you think, I haven't studied that far into it as of yet

If you're looking for a class that doesn't struggle with mana (SP), try Heavy Gunner. Although the class gets a lot of backlash it arguably has the best SP recovery due to its 'Reload' skill.

The Knight and Priest are both fun and are both decent with solo play. Priests can 1v1 most low level bosses assuming that you are skilled enough to dodge most attacks (which is definitely possible).

I don't have much experience with Assassins however from what I have seen they don't struggle too much and are really fun to play regardless. If you check the in-depth guide I linked in the Assassin category of the Megathread you'll see two YouTube videos of people showcasing the Assassin class. If you watch those you'll be able to see just how much SP the Assassin uses with its combos.
  • FlameBlueFlameBlue
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 420
    Ty for excelent guide!
    Bamboozler
  • BamboozlerBamboozler
    FlameBlue wrote: »
    Ty for excelent guide!

You're welcome! It's also important to thank everyone in the 'Special Thanks' section - they helped out a bunch. :)
  • LazyGoatLazyGoat
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 600
    Nice work dude :D
  • GamerFiendGamerFiend
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 620
  • BamboozlerBamboozler
    Each of the in-depth guides found in this megathread now have the 2018 GMS2 Skills. :)
  • SayopiSayopi
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 400
    Great guide! Deciding on which class to first use is always the hardest for me :c
  • EvermindEvermind
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,405
    edited 12:33PM May 16, 2018
    Good job on sharing this information! Really helpful.
    Bamboozler
  • MishyroMishyro
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,140
    Good job with that thread! If you need any help regardless of the Berserker class, let me know. :D
  • BamboozlerBamboozler
    Mishyro wrote: »
    Good job with that thread! If you need any help regardless of the Berserker class, let me know. :D

I'm currently taking strategy guides. If you have any screenshots of your final berserker skill window as well as pros and cons or a paragraph or two to discuss how the build works, I would be more than happy to put it up on the thread and credit you. :)
  • DrYoshiyahuDrYoshiyahu
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 9,180
    edited 10:11PM May 30, 2018
    I hadn't paid any notice of this thread until now, but now that I look at it, there are some serious issues and just incorrect information all over.
    Strength (STR) - Determines the MELEE DAMAGE of the player.
    Range (RANGE) - Determines the ATTACK RANGE of the player.
    Defence (DEF) - Determines the DAMAGE REDUCTION of the player.
    Luck (LUCK) - Determines the CHANCE OF INCREASED DAMAGE of the player.
    Intellect (INT) - Determines the MAGIC DAMAGE of the player.
    Dexterity (DEX) - Determines the RANGE DAMAGE of the player.

I don't know who gave you these descriptions, but there's no such thing as Melee Damage and Ranged Damage. There is only Physical Damage and Magic Damage. The game doesn't even differentiate between melee and ranged attacks, only long- and close-range attacks. Strength, Dexterity, and Luck all increase the Physical Attack of specific classes.

On top of that, Strength also increases Physical Resistance, Intelligence increases Magic Resistance, and Dexterity increases Physical Resistance and Accuracy! There is so much more going on than what these descriptions offer.

Luck is accurate in that it increases the chance to deal increased damage, but we call those "crits" in MapleStory. Luck increases your Critical Rate. Your Critical Rate also just happens to be a stat you can put points into, one of the primary stats of Archers and Assassins. I don't know why it isn't listed here. You can't put points into Defence but you can put them into Crit Rate. It should be in the list. EDIT: And Defense shouldn't.

Also, "RANGE" isn't a stat. I'm not sure why it's on the list, because the Attack Range is given by the equipped weapon, and that's it. You can't just put points into your attack range.

The descriptions are also inaccurate in that they don't determine the Physical and Magic Attack of the player, they just increase it. You can have high Physical and Magic Attack stats even with 0 points in any of the above stats. The stats are only a small part of the equation. You should get the descriptions from in-game above all other sources of information. The game is the primary source. Everything else is secondary.
    Weapon: One-Handed Sword & Shield

They're called Longswords. This needs to be updated.
    Weapon: Staffs & Wands

Wizards can't use Wands. Only Staffs. Moreso than that, Wands in this game are called Scepters.
    Weapon: Scepter & Spellbook

It's not a Spellbook, it's a Codex.
    Primary Stats: STR + DEX

I don't know who told you that one of the Heavy Gunners' primary stats is Strength, but they're completely wrong. Not only is Strength not a primary stat for Heavy Gunners, it doesn't even increase their Physical Attack. The only stats that affect a Heavy Gunner's Physical Attack is Dexterity and Luck. Strength does nothing for them except defense.
    Weapon: Daggers & Claws

Not only can Thieves not wield Claws, they don't even exist. Thieves wield two Daggers, and that's it. Strikers wield Knuckles, but they are not only not Claws but not in GMS2 yet.
    Primary Stats: LUCK + DEX

Nope, same as the issue with Heavy Gunners. Not only is Dexterity not a primary attribute of Thieves, it doesn't increase their Physical Attack at all. The only stats that increase the Physical Attack of Thieves are Strength and Luck.
    Weapon: Throwing Stars

It's just called a Thrown Weapon. This could be stars, it could be knives, it could be snowballs.

And then we come to the fact that you're using two-year-old skill showcase videos as guides. This guide has already misled people into thinking that the skills we get in GMS2 are the skills in those videos. Those videos should be removed from this post. They're definitely misleading. Some of those skills are similar, if not identical to the skills we have now, but so many of them have been removed from the game entirely. I wouldn't recommend using any sources from earlier than this year.

I don't have the spare time to look through the individual class threads, but I'm sure there is just as much outdated information in those as well.

To OP, I strongly encourage you to compare what's in this thread to what's in game and make sure it's actually accurate information. Anything from before 2018 should be thrown out. Ayumilove's blog is not a viable source of information. Those pages are years out of date. As is anything else that hasn't been updated in the last six months.

To everyone else, I'm surprised that this hasn't been addressed yet, after how many views and comments? People have got to check facts and use multiple sources of information. Blindly taking one person's word is going to lead to situations like this where people accept outdated information as being true.

To the moderators, please double check posts before you sticky them. I might not have an issue with outdated information in a guide if it wasn't being endorsed by the moderators, but that's what's happened. Nexon, or volunteers working on Nexon's behalf, have acknowledged that the thread is important enough that people should be reading it, and that it shouldn't go off the front page, but if anyone closely familiar with the game had read it, they would know that it needs to be updated significantly before being recommended.

I can't help but wonder how many Heavy Gunners were building Strength in the CBT because they were following this guide, or how many Thieves were building Dexterity. I've already mentioned the confusion of players wondering what happened to all the Wizard skills.

EDIT: Just so that I'm being absolutely clear: I'm not having a go at @Bamboozler. It's not his fault alone. Sure, there's a lot of mistakes, but it's also the fault of everyone that read the guide without noticing anything wrong or alerting Bamboozler to the issues in the thread. After all, the very first line of the thread says "If you think I've made any mistakes, please let me know so I can fix them".

EDIT 2: Oh, also, I noticed that the images for the characters in each class (except the Wizard) have broken. Might want to double check those URLs.
    HoneyBunsDanDKLindely
  • BamboozlerBamboozler
    edited 12:26AM May 22, 2018
    @DrYoshiyahu

Good catch with the stat descriptions, they were made a long time ago and were loosely based off a guide I had seen in the past. I've updated them to reflect your information and when GMS2 comes back I intend to give stats their own spoiler tab so I can be more in-depth about each stat, including ones that you can't put points into.

In regards to the vocabulary used- it was based off the English patches as this guide was initially made before the CBT had begun. Once GMS2 is back up I'll be more than happy to update the vocab, no need to be rude.

As for your mention about Heavy Gunners, please check this official Nexon website and look at the official graphic made for the class to see where I got that information: http://maplestory2.nexon.com/Guide/JobHeavyGunner

As for the 2016 skill videos I have linked in this thread- I have clearly stated that they're from 2016 in multiple areas as well as the videos themselves being dated as 2016. They were used because there is nothing more recent which showcases skills in as much detail. If you checked any of my individual class threads linked in the megathread you would see that the skills tab has all of the 2018 skills from the GMS2 CBT.

I have no issue with debates and discussions or being corrected for that matter, I encourage it, but please don't come into this thread or any thread for that matter being extremely rude to myself let alone taking a jab at moderators. There are definitely nicer ways your could have worded things.
  • DrYoshiyahuDrYoshiyahu
    edited 3:12AM May 22, 2018
    @Bamboozler: I don't know what you interpreted as being rude, but I'm sorry you feel attacked. I would just chalk that up to the limitations of plain text, because I have nothing but love and respect for people that seek to educate others. Perhaps I should use more emoticons. Please don't take any criticisms personally, I know that you're using other people's information as sources. My only goal is to spread the truth and extinguish false information. For one thing, here are the descriptions of the main stats from in-game:

Physical Attack: "Increases the damage dealt to enemies with physical attacks."

Magic Attack: "Increases the damage dealt to enemies from magic attacks."

Strength: "The main stat for Knights, Berserkers, and Runeblades. Increases the physical attack of Knights, Berserkers, Wizards, Priests, Archers, Thieves, Runeblades, and Soul Binders. Affects physical resistance."

Dexterity: "The main stat for Archers, Heavy Gunners, and Strikers. Increases the physical attack of Knights, Berserkers, Priests, Archers, Heavy Gunners, Assassins, Runeblades, Strikers, and Soul Binders. Affects physical resistance and accuracy."

Intelligence: "The main stat for Wizards, Priests, and Soul Binders. Increases magic attack and affects magic resistance."

Luck: "The main stat for Thieves and Assassins. Increases the physical attack of Wizards, Thieves, Assassins, and Heavy Gunners. Affects critical rate."

You'll notice each class only has one main stat, among these four, and each class can only get Physical Attack from two stats. You should probably not include the hexagonal area plots in the guide either, because it would appear they are also no longer relevant. Having a better look at them now, I can see more issues than just stat allocation: Heavy Gunners, for example, are listed as having less range than Archers and Wizards, which isn't true.

I do strongly recommend you remove the videos from 2016. I would argue that the absence of videos is better than misleading videos. If you have the descriptions of the skills from the CBT, then why not use those in this thread? Complete descriptions of all the skills would make the perfect substitute for the videos. Those skill descriptions also include the name of the class' weapons, so you don't need to take my word for it, the translations are already at your disposal.
    DanDK
  • Always_HidAlways_Hid
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 9,900
    to be fair, before cbt no one really knew what to expect from gms2. i think this was a really good source for us to get a general idea of what to expect classes to be like since the only source of info we could really look at was kms2 and cms2. now that we've had the cbt and got some exp learning more about classes and stuff it can be updated to reflect the changes we will see in gms2. all in all i think it's a good guide, just needs to be updated now that we have more solid information
    Bamboozler
  • DrYoshiyahuDrYoshiyahu
    I made an edit in my original comment, but in case you don't see it, the images of the characters are broken.
  • BamboozlerBamboozler
    I made an edit in my original comment, but in case you don't see it, the images of the characters are broken.

They're not broken for me. Are you sure that you completely loaded the page? If the page stops loading half way, images will normally appear broken.
  • DrYoshiyahuDrYoshiyahu
    edited 3:46AM June 1, 2018
    Bamboozler wrote: »
    They're not broken for me. Are you sure that you completely loaded the page? If the page stops loading half way, images will normally appear broken.

Really? Have you done a hard refresh? Cause if I go to the image URL, I get a 403 error.
  • lolzfaillolzfail
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,125
    I am able to see every image except for priest. I hard refreshed and it's still the same for me. I also went to the image url for priest and can confirm that I got a 403 error. Knight works fine for me though so I'm not sure what is happening.
  • BamboozlerBamboozler
    edited 9:10PM June 16, 2018
    Bamboozler wrote: »

Really? Have you done a hard refresh? Cause if I go to the image URL, I get a 403 error.

lolzfail wrote: »
    I am able to see every image except for priest. I hard refreshed and it's still the same for me. I also went to the image url for priest and can confirm that I got a 403 error. Knight works fine for me though so I'm not sure what is happening.

Definitely something going on with AyumiLove's servers, they were fine for me when first reported. Knight was missing today though, Priest is still fine. In any case I'm going to reupload all the images in a minute on imgur. :)
    DrYoshiyahu
  • AvarAvar
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 620
    The more you know.