Bowman Pride

DrYoshiyahuDrYoshiyahu
Maplestory 2 Rep: 7,525
Forum Moderator
edited 8:06PM April 26, 2018 in Archer
Story time! I just wanted to share with you all why I'm proud to be an archer and why you should be, too.

When I started playing MapleStory, there were four classes: Warrior, Magician, Bowman, Thief. Everyone loved to play Warriors for their survivability and ally buffs. They were almost all Spearmen, and all basically necessary for a party quest. Everyone loved to play Mages for their crazy high damage, and especially Clerics for their heals. You couldn't go anywhere without seeing a Mage, and Clerics reigned supreme. And especially, people loved to play Thieves. For the mobility, for the damage, for the exploitable luck mechanics, for the Haste buff, and for Assassins. No one played Bowmen.

Now, I didn't know this. I just picked a class I thought sounded alright, just at a first glance. So I made my character, got through Maple Island and out of the tutorial, and just started walking until I found Henesys. Once I was there, I met Athena Pierce, and I thought, "yeah, this looks alright, I'll give this a go." So I grinded my way through ten more levels, until I was in the 20s. I had to keep buying arrows, I struggled to deal the same kind of damage as the other classes, I constantly died. I didn't have the health of a Warrior. I didn't have Magic Guard like a Mage. I couldn't attack while jumping through the air like a Thief.

So when it came time to play Kerning City PQs for that sweet, sweet PQ exp, which, at the time, was the only way anyone leveled from 21-31, I was heartbroken to find out that not only was I not strong enough to get through the first room, killing the crocodiles, without relying on a teammate, but I wasn't strong enough to fight King Slime either, and he would decimate me with my low mobility. In fact, Bowmen were so weak at that point, that many players would ignore me as I shouted out "J> PQ!" over and over. Occasionally some players would have mercy on me and give me a go, other times I would just go back to grinding on Mushrooms in the Dungeon.

When I got to level 30, things started to look up for my Archer, which was now a Hunter. I had an AoE attack with hard crowd control, which was an absolute godsend. If you didn't play Bowmen in those days, it's almost hard to imagine what a difference it makes to have Bomb Arrow. I also no longer needed to buy and carry thousands of arrows with me everywhere I went. Soul Arrow would save me an indescribable amount of money. For the first time, I was actually happy with my choice. I had slogged through hell to get to this point, and I was really beginning to enjoy myself.

What you have to understand is that, at that time, we had the first and second job advancements, and that's it. Getting to level 30 was a massive grind, and getting to 60 was basically maxing out your character. There was no Ludibrium, so there was no Ludibrium PQ. Training really was a grind at this point. But I didn't care. I loved my Hunter. I felt like a badass using Bomb Arrow.

The public perception of Archers didn't change all that much. No one played them, no one really wanted one in their party. You were a noob if you played one. The weakest of all the classes. But then the third job advancement came. I was already level 70 by this point. I headed straight to El Nath to find out whatever was awaiting me, and it was glorious!

I could shoot FOUR arrows at once using Strafe! I had Arrow Rain and Inferno! I could summon a hawk by my side! I got a slight movement speed buff that I loved way too much for what it was. Even Puppet was a life-changing skill in the right situations!

I was powerful. Archers were powerful. Arrow Rain and Arrow Eruption were incredible skills for training, and Strafe skyrocketed our potential in boss fights. I was the envy of all my friends. Strafe was such an incredible tool, that shooting out those glowing purple arrows, I was able to solo some of the lower-level bosses for the first time.

Now I didn't just love my Hunter turned Ranger, I was proud to play him. For the first time, the term "Bowman Pride" started to circulate. For the first time, we really felt like we were a legitimate class that could compete with the others. That being said, it probably wasn't true. Hermits were still insanely popular in every sense of the word, Priests were necessary in every boss run and the first pick for any PQ, and Dragon Knights were the cornerstone of every successful guild and boss run. In fact, Dragon Knights made up so much of the higher echelon of players, that half the biggest guilds were all run by a Dragon Knight. But even still, as a Ranger, I could hold my own.

And then everything changed. Everything went completely upside-down at the beginning of 2008. The fourth job advancement came, and my MapleStory experience was never the same. Hurricane was single-handedly the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen. Sharp Eyes made Bowmen the envy of every other class, and a necessary part of every boss run. My Hawk became a Phoenix! A Phoenix!

Now everyone wanted me in their party. As a Bowmaster, I could take down bosses like no one else. I could even solo some of the higher-leveled bosses. I had come from nothing; from the weak-ass noob class that no one wanted to play. But now I was the king; one of the strongest bossers in the game at that time. I would go on to get my Bowmaster to 200 before giving up the addiction, but I will never ever forget the pride that I felt for my Bowman.

The experience had such a lasting effect, that even now, no matter what game I play, I main an archer. Every RPG, every Hero Shooter, every MMO, even in strategy games, my Bowman Pride goes with me. I will never main another class. Whether the Archer/Ranger/Bowman in whatever game is the weakest or strongest class, I'm proud to play a Bowman.
FaelightDanDKAquasisAmy_Clyne1BueberryEauStriveJakemonkeyUmiSonodaFanSabiaand 15 others.

Comments

• FaelightFaelight
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 5,615
    Forum Moderator
    What a wonderful heartwarming story! I hope we can all have some Bowman Pride in MS2!
    DrYoshiyahuJakemonkey
  • SabiaSabia
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 460
    That's a really nice story! I also chose the archer in MS1 just on a whim. I have fond memories of "jump shooting" and dealing crits for 1 damage to the ligators at KPQ. My archer is still my main at lv 195 in maple.
    DrYoshiyahuJakemonkeyForum_Lurker
  • DanDKDanDK
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 25,545
    Exactly this. Thanks for sharing your great story! I was actually requested to play Bowman because it was the only remaining class not picked in my original friend circle - maybe for the same reasons you mentioned above, I don't know. I did also come to like Henesys and Athena a lot, so that was no hindrance. I had exactly the same experiences in KPQ where we were probably the most unpopular class next to Warriors, and the most succesful thing we could do on Victoria Island was probably to be able to hit Jr. Neckis a bit earlier than others. Both in Beta and after the release, I ended up playing both Thief and Magician classes instead until I just decided to go back and continue on my archer.

Just like you, I remember leveling ahead of the PQs, always grinding because there was nothing else to do, taking forever to reach 3rd job and doing it along with some of my best friends, finally unlocking some extra potential. And several years later I would also reach 4th job but still have a fairly low health pool. I don't recall us being specifically popular for anything though. Having SE was definitely a great improvement but everyone still wanted Priests and raw DPS from other classes, and I would need specific HP-enhancing items if I would hope to solo anything. Hurricane was definitely the loveliest skill ever though. I feel kind of bad for the crossbow players that had to miss out on that.

And yes, I also made the final run to 200 as you, and since then I've also always preferred archer classes in any games. Some of my later friends also picked up an archer class so I hope I've inspired them as well. One of them will be playing archer again in MS2 so I will probably deviate and go for Priest (my secondary role in MS1) in order to have a balanced party. But after reading your inspirational post, I know that I will definitely not abandon my original class, either. I will make an archer work as well, even if I'll have to play double as long to handle both characters!
    One of the few non-cluttered screenshots I could find.
    9v8SZ0_dZsuzDHfgPM1GOeXNiSAf8GXgQ5V8sbYwLvLuOp6fTK0zHqC6hHJ3KTjvxiq527B820EC0efJ3E4jmEmXcompz2wL1gWBEPWLWPbay99CH5lgPBTAeuZ2F2uEcAKO0PRCAJHiA6TUes_Ko8UJvVt9QmavxawfYhuGJ-HgO9CJX9uw5zZ2Bne9Ed2ZjeBhBzvf9KtCijyp5ntc1R1Q2mfHdFO9LUUVCHg-Okc5EdAe9gGuNvX0JcDoqakKDq4YnaLgepBvBYdW-Y6FBWobfOYY_uGHhUK64v_rZSIOyODfhE5ILHyZyyy2gPz2s8Jvd4m6JNTKSI9ffAiJXdzuNQvJgHbvVp-_tI-279vebWO1wJlz8ijJwvYnYNrXdIFYxgiifW_KcKXy8kfu9jqEo-YuWNAAYZZvP4sFuuyOzol5au7eUsz2KFL0xPHPLCzg12nwCDC94y8uSA_ppeDcxkiaQSQdhYiKix2r0c9o3DK0dPs2NHdrxUeSGtWULe8jfFxcKEb3APkZauUmD3Pp97Mn2lGYxWJm0D6Jvo5b48KBTNU4R-1f_5NTu8vwpbb8VpAjBd5olU73M0-4BgrthndsHhS2LiUWCxY=w800-h600-no
    DrYoshiyahuJakemonkeyRaijuForum_Lurker
  • AquasisAquasis
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,565
    This story reminds me of myself wen i started playing back in the day. I dont have any screenshot or vids left from back then i switched over to several computers since then. But i do remember the good old days of pushing mobs back in order to fire. Died A LOT and lost so much exp if you count it. 15% evry time you died ><. I think i earned more exp with dieying then with grinding but for some reason i went on going forward ever so slow.
    DrYoshiyahuDanDKJakemonkeyForum_Lurker
  • BamboozlerBamboozler
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 19,450
    Not going to lie, that was a VERY long read, but it was worth it :)

Underdog story of the century :D
    DrYoshiyahuJakemonkeyEtherity
  • Amy_Clyne1Amy_Clyne1
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 2,165
    Inspiring story :D I always like to shoot enemies from afar and grow fond of playing archer, although I never played Maplestory 1, yet every game that features these awesome class/job, I always choose them as if I have a soul of a ranger xD It would be interesting if we all made a group specifically for archers and discuss optimal PvE build, help one another on clearing tough quests, or even have a good time together!

One funny idea popped up in my mind: Make a guild for archers only >.<
    DrYoshiyahuDanDKBueberryJakemonkeyForum_Lurker
  • StriveStrive
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 970
    edited 5:10AM April 29, 2018
    This was.. Very motivating.
    Archers do tend to be the weakest class in many RPGs. But I take it as a challenge! As a badge of honor!
    #BowmanPride , GMS2, Let's go!
    DrYoshiyahuForum_Lurker
  • lazimilazimi
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 2,990
    Nice story ARCHERS <333
    DrYoshiyahuForum_Lurker
  • ShoxShox
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 520
    You give me life. I sadly abandoned my Bowman for a Thief for the exact reasons you've mentioned. This time around I promise I wont abandon my calling. Archers FTW !
    DrYoshiyahuForum_Lurker
  • TopherTopher
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 530
    Hello! That was a very inspiring read and I appreciate you for sharing your experience. It motivated me to create a forum account because I just had to reply.

Before reading your story, I was on the fence between playing the wizard or the ranger. After reading that, I will definitely be playing the ranger!

Thank you for sharing!
    DrYoshiyahuEtherityForum_Lurker
  • EtherityEtherity
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 585
    That was the most beautiful thing about an Archer I have ever read... [ Q _ Q ]
    DrYoshiyahuDanDKForum_Lurker
  • lazimilazimi
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 2,990
    We Are the Bowmans lets kick some asses!!
    DrYoshiyahuForum_Lurker
  • DrYoshiyahuDrYoshiyahu
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 7,525
    Forum Moderator
    Topher wrote: »
    Hello! That was a very inspiring read and I appreciate you for sharing your experience. It motivated me to create a forum account because I just had to reply.

Before reading your story, I was on the fence between playing the wizard or the ranger. After reading that, I will definitely be playing the ranger!

Thank you for sharing!

I'm really glad to hear that! :3
  • lolzfaillolzfail
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,085
    I was inspired to play archer when I saw that 8 hour horntail solo video. Naturally I was soon to be disappointed. However, something about archers just resonated within me. The class was really weak(1 damage crits to ligators and whacking mobs with your bow), but something about it just made me want to continue playing it. After several years of swapping mains I have mained 3 different bowmasters, 1 wind archer, 1 crossbow master and 1 mercedes. My second level 200 was a bowmaster. I think I really liked the hurricane abilities as they hit really fast(and make bosses spasm) and they looked really beautiful. Also, I feel that people who play weak classes tend to be nicer, since they aren't like those competitive people who play a class just for its damage, but actually play a class because they really liked it. Whenever I play a weak job to a high level in MS1 there would always be this guy on an overpowered class asking me why I play such a weak class, and I would always just say because I like it. I eventually settled on a mage as my main in MS1(same thing, they shoot arrows), but archer has always been at least my 2nd favourite job. When MS2 was announced, I knew I only had wizard and archer to choose from. I tried both in CMS2, and I felt I liked archers more.
    Story time! I just wanted to share with you all why I'm proud to be an archer and why you should be, too.

And then everything changed. Everything went completely upside-down at the beginning of 2008. The fourth job advancement came, and my MapleStory experience was never the same. Hurricane was single-handedly the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen. Sharp Eyes made Bowmen the envy of every other class, and a necessary part of every boss run. My Hawk became a Phoenix! A Phoenix!

Now everyone wanted me in their party. As a Bowmaster, I could take down bosses like no one else. I could even solo some of the higher-leveled bosses. I had come from nothing; from the weak-ass noob class that no one wanted to play. But now I was the king; one of the strongest bossers in the game at that time. I would go on to get my Bowmaster to 200 before giving up the addiction, but I will never ever forget the pride that I felt for my Bowman.

The experience had such a lasting effect, that even now, no matter what game I play, I main an archer. Every RPG, every Hero Shooter, every MMO, even in strategy games, my Bowman Pride goes with me. I will never main another class. Whether the Archer/Ranger/Bowman in whatever game is the weakest or strongest class, I'm proud to play a Bowman.

This sums up my experience with archers/mages. I have rarely played any other role in other games. Sharp eyes was the best thing ever. Everyone else was at our mercy, begging us for SE(lol jk). Hurricane is not only one of the strongest bossing skills, but it is also majestic, so beautiful you wouldn't mind being on its receiving end.
    DrYoshiyahu
  • AlilatiasAlilatias
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 310
    Heh, this post brings back memories.

I started MapleStory roughly 1 year before 4th job was released in kMS. I don't entirely recall why I picked Bowman as my class, but I stuck with it all the same. Felt the same kind of pride and all, and then 4th job was revealed and I fell in love with Hurricane. I was actually mildly miffed that almost every new class released since had some variation of it, but I suppose that's just how iconic the skill had become.

Things happened, I briefly left the game for 2 years, then returned with a fresh Bowman and fought my way up to become a Bowmaster like I originally intended. Things happened again afterwards and I moved off to Dragon Nest, though I retained the same sense of archer pride through most of the games I've played since. (Dragon Nest, oddly enough, was an exception - I actually mained a healer class there instead, but that's another story for another day.)

Though I haven't made it into Maplestory 2's closed beta, I fully intend to play an Archer here once more. A whole decade later.
    DrYoshiyahu