Check out the patch notes for the v20 Lovely Update here: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/55909/lovely-update-v20

Do you feel like maplestory 2 looks less serious?

RisuneRisune
MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,095
in General Chat
My friend was going on about mostly party games and hanging out and it sounded less serious then maple 1
  1. Do you feel like maplestory 2 looks less serious?51 votes
    1. yes
       39% (20 votes)
    2. no
       61% (31 votes)

Comments

• BlueIsotopesBlueIsotopes
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 905
    I think the art style gives it a relaxed feel like in MS1 but the overall gameplay will be just as serious as you proceed. I think they really made a solid attempt at making it so that there are better places to hang out with friends instead of just a few major towns which I’m pretty stoked for.
    RisuneKilasco
  • JonnJonn
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,325
    That's how it was when MapleStory started out. When you are level 1 it's not going to be serious.
    RisuneTheCurrySauseBanditKilasco
  • FlorentiusFlorentius
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,115
    edited 8:13AM April 25, 2018
    I personally got the same vibe despite it being in 3D.

Not to mention I never took Maplestory that -seriously-.. I just enjoyed it for what it was!
    Risune
  • MacSauceMacSauce
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,600
    With MapleStorys' artstyle can it ever be considered a serious game
  • CavemanOhYeaCavemanOhYea
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,235
    I never though of MS1 as a Serious Game .
    Risune
  • KupniggitKupniggit
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,085
    Im hoping certain bosses will be way more serious than the overworlds n stuff. I loved the relatively spooky tones of the bosses in maple 1 xD
    Risune
  • SpyroIzukiSpyroIzuki
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,010
    It's seriously thicc.
  • TakatanaTakatana
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,950
    I don't see much of a difference, tbh. The artstyles are pretty similar.
  • PhantomixPhantomix
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 895
    i don't think maplestory has really been serious until much later in the games life cycle. ms1 had plenty of events where they introduced minigames but it was pretty limiting as to what they could do in a 2d space.
  • MacSauceMacSauce
    edited 9:17AM April 25, 2018
    I mean I do think the game itself looks like a seriously challenging game at times the art style I'm doesn't allow for the full effect of any of the moments to feel serious or overwhelming but I think it's to be expected they werent looking for their game to be taken as serious looking more as a serious grinder and social hub for people of a specific gengre demographic

But still that's just my opinion
  • Wisest01Wisest01
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 720
    I don't think it's the artstyle that gives me the feeling that it's less serious. It's what aspects of the game are being pushed at us. MS1 has been pushing a heavy hero centric narrative at us for a while so it sorta grew into something serious while with MS2, I've yet to see much outside of the social/interactive and personalization features that they're focusing on. The only thing pushing me toward believing that this will have some semblance to MS1 (in terms of gameplay and mechanics) is the idea that classes still exist
  • ChillBearChillBear
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 5,695
    I would find it hard to take this game 'seriously' based on a lot of different factors, let alone the developers didn't try to go this route with the artistic direction. I think the idea is this is a place to have fun.
  • MarcupioMarcupio
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 700
    Aesthetically speaking, Maplestory isn't 'serious' to begin with, but that doesn't mean other aspects can be taken lightly. The added dimension allows for that much more engaging combat, and the end game raids/bosses look decently involved from what I've seen. Dungeons, puzzles, and general interaction with the world also benefits from the increase in dimensionality. We'll learn more as the weeks progress, but Maplestory can look cute/not serious and be every bit as engaging as a more 'serious' game.
    Risune
  • MacSauceMacSauce
    Marcupio wrote: »
    Aesthetically speaking, Maplestory isn't 'serious' to begin with, but that doesn't mean other aspects can be taken lightly. The added dimension allows for that much more engaging combat, and the end game raids/bosses look decently involved from what I've seen. Dungeons, puzzles, and general interaction with the world also benefits from the increase in dimensionality. We'll learn more as the weeks progress, but Maplestory can look cute/not serious and be every bit as engaging as a more 'serious' game.

You hit the nail on the head bro