May 27th is finally upon us. Please feel free to join us on the last day as the servers come down one by one. More details here: http://forums.maplestory2.nexon.net/discussion/46192
MapleStory 2's servers will be officially closing on May 27th: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/news/article/56486/service-discontinuation

Playing as the opposite sex

Comments

• XectyXecty
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 670
    edited 10:02AM May 3, 2018
    If guys would just stop hunting girls in games, this thread won't be even relevant. Mostly it's the guys who fell for it are the salty ones, thus saying it's creepy playing a female toon if you are a male irl etc etc... Hate me if you want, but you know it's the truth.
    CelestineVMatboksenLuminaEdgeZenmaruAnOldGeezer
  • KayGKayG
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 845
    My main characters in every MMO I play is male, but I do enjoy playing female characters from time to time. My main character in GTA Online is female. :3
  • gothiargothiar
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 860
    Is gender THAT so important? Must I have a reason to choose male or female? The character is yours and you can create whatever you want to play. Stop being so damn narrow-minded.
    Zenmaru
  • DreadedAuroraDreadedAurora
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,570
    Well for me being a male whose transitioned to female, it's a no brainer but I can see why others would choose the opposite gender for aesthetic reasons.
    Amy_Clyne1Zenmaru
  • HappyButtSlappyHappyButtSlappy
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,060
    My first character is probably going to be a female since it'll be a Priest. I change the gender depending on the class. So of course, my Knight, Berserker, Gunner, Thief, and Assassin will most likely be males. Whilst my Wizard, Archer and Priest will most likely be females. I don't pretend to be a girl in-game, and I don't plan to. I will play them because I want to, and it adds to the immersion. Plus, females apparently have better clothing and accessories to wear. Aethetics are important as well.
  • KaumaKauma
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 960
    I know some people who make a female char for the exact same reason your friends do. That's honestly very... degrading for women I guess? Also some as mentioned in this thread, make female characters in hopes to get special treatment like free stuff and what not. Everyone has their own reason for why they make their character, the gender they are. It just depends on the intention of it i guess.
    I'm a girl, I usually make girl characters. But I plan to make my alt character a male just because I want to see the clothes that's available to them.
  • spacepizzacatspacepizzacat
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,000
    I usually play as a female but I've definitely created male characters from time to time. In games where there are different races, sometimes the males just look cooler to me. Funnily enough, I'm playing a male Gnome in D&D right now. I don't know why, I just started to think up traits and suddenly realized I was imagining a cranky, old male Gnome. :)
  • saipandasaipanda
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 6,010
    I don't understand the obsession with what gender a player is in real life vs what gender their character is in an MMO. :I
  • mewberimewberi
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 3,705
    i think it's perfectly fine for people to do, i even create male characters sometimes to play as the opposite
    because it's fun to play as the opposite gender from time to time and roleplay with it!
    i'll always be honest about my true gender though, i don't want to mislead anyone.
  • NeridaNerida
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,715
    edited 2:02PM May 3, 2018
    Show me a guy who would not play as Lara Craft.

51JiMyQUYTL._SY355_.jpg
  • CookiesyayCookiesyay
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,855
    Some of my male ffxiv friends play as a female. I asked them why they told me because most of the male gear is really bulky and looks better on females so maybe that’s why some people play female over males
  • voidnullptrvoidnullptr
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 500
    edited 2:00PM May 3, 2018
    I have done it, so I understand why someone would do it but GMS2 is not a game for that, girls do not look hot here so there is no point doing it.
  • ElinstarElinstar
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 510
    I don't play as the opposite gender, but I don't care if other people do. It's really just a game. Do what you want. I prefer to play female characters because I can get a little more into the character.
  • asyouwishhasyouwishh
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,150
    My main char is always my real gender. My mules are always whatever I think is random and cute.
    TSwvyne
  • SyrageSyrage
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 640
    edited 2:38PM May 3, 2018
    My only problem comes from G.I.R.L.s that are doing it to just get free stuff. Other than that its a game play how you want.
    TSwvyne
  • asyouwishhasyouwishh
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 2,150
    Syrage wrote: »
    My only problem comes from G.I.R.L.s that are doing it to just get free stuff. Other than that its a game play how you want.

It wasn't just girls.. There would always be a low level walking up to me saying "Mesos???" I dont see any reason to single out a specific gender. Most people who want to scam somebody will do it either way. You just have to be vigilant and understand this is only a game. Never invest real money on people you can't see, unless you have a long standing bond, then who cares what gender they are?
  • SyrageSyrage
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 640
    asyouwishh wrote: »
    It wasn't just girls.. There would always be a low level walking up to me saying "Mesos???" I dont see any reason to single out a specific gender. Most people who want to scam somebody will do it either way. You just have to be vigilant and understand this is only a game. Never invest real money on people you can't see, unless you have a long standing bond, then who cares what gender they are?

Beggars aren't the same as people preying on someones emotions. I'm not really singling out a specific gender... I'm just saying based on the context of this thread that its the only time I have a problem with guys playing female characters. People have emotions behind the keyboard and when these type of people seek to exploit those emotions its upsetting. The gender doesn't really matter as I find girls who do this to be just as annoying.
  • TSwvyneTSwvyne
    MapleStory 2 Rep: 1,960
    Syrage wrote: »

Yep, i feel you on that one