Please do not send inquiries to the Forum Moderators and Community Manager Cuddles regarding forum name changes. Exceptions are only made if the forum name violates the CoC. Thank you for understanding.

MS2 On Console

BromoBromo
Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,875
Posts: 63
Member
in Off Topic Discussion
Okay, before you think “Omg no what a casual noob!” hear me out!
Console gaming has been geared more towards MMORPG and other kinds of online gaming with every new game or console they put out.
Fortnite was allowed for Cross-Platform along with other games do this leads me to think, why not make MapleStory 2( or even MapleStory 1) available for Xbox and PlayStation? Some people enjoy playing on consoles a lot more than on PC. I, for one, would love the idea because I have a PC and a PS4 so I can hold MS2 parties at my house where I can play together instead of just me. I think it’s a very good idea, and I’m surprised nobody else has brought it up.

Let me know your thoughts!


  1. Should MS2 release console gaming?25 votes
    1. Yes
       60% (15 votes)
    2. No
       40% (10 votes)

Comments

  • KitsuhimeKitsuhime
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,545
    Posts: 36
    Member
    Oh god no lol
    Hikage
  • 3FeetOfFun3FeetOfFun
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 5,570
    Posts: 355
    Member
  • BromoBromo
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,875
    Posts: 63
    Member
    @3FeetOfFun @Kitsuhime Whyyyyyy???
  • 3FeetOfFun3FeetOfFun
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 5,570
    Posts: 355
    Member
    edited 1:03PM April 19, 2018
    Bromo wrote: »
    @3FeetOfFun @Kitsuhime Whyyyyyy???

    MS2 is a social game. Not a grinding game. MS1 on console is a good idea, because the gameplay concept is singleplayer.
    MS2 on console will ruin the game, because people will space out for the community. There will be rage over Console players.
    People in dungeons will say R>PQ NO CONSOLE @@@@@
    This isn't CoD, this is a game where people are pressured to play as a team.

    BUT NOT JUST THAT!

    But MS2 won't run on consoles. Nexon will have to downgrade MS2 inorder to have it run on even the PS4.
    I don't want a gimped down console game on PC.
    Nexon when pushing out updates will have to keep console members in mind, when pushing out updates. Which mean the game will be limited in creativity.
  • BromoBromo
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,875
    Posts: 63
    Member
    3FeetOfFun wrote: »
    Bromo wrote: »
    @3FeetOfFun @Kitsuhime Whyyyyyy???

    MS2 is a social game. Not a grinding game. MS1 on console is a good idea, because the gameplay concept is singleplayer.
    MS2 on console will ruin the game, because people will space out for the community. There will be rage over Console players.
    People in dungeons will say R>PQ NO CONSOLE @@@@@
    This isn't CoD, this is a game where people are pressured to play as a team.

    BUT NOT JUST THAT!

    But MS2 won't run on consoles. Nexon will have to downgrade MS2 inorder to have it run on even the PS4.
    I don't want a gimped down console game on PC.
    Nexon when pushing out updates will have to keep console members in mind, when pushing out updates. Which mean the game will be limited in creativity.

    All good points
  • 3FeetOfFun3FeetOfFun
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 5,570
    Posts: 355
    Member
  • TheChaosLegendTheChaosLegend
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 7,925
    Posts: 850
    Member
    edited 1:14PM April 19, 2018
    I don’t see a huge problem. It’s not like they could do cross-platform play anyways. They would end up doing what Tera did and have a separate pc, ps4, and xb1 community.

    Biggest reason is that Microsoft refuses to cross platform with Sony and for xb1 to pc the game needs to be on the Microsoft store (won’t happen LOL)

    Either way if people like it enough on console it would probably drive them to playing the pc version for better optimization/communication

    (This has been brought up a couple times in the suggestions section but got buried relatively quickly)
    BromoAruraune
  • 3FeetOfFun3FeetOfFun
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 5,570
    Posts: 355
    Member
    I don’t see a huge problem. It’s not like they could do cross-platform play anyways. They would end up doing what Tera did and have a separate pc, ps4, and xb1 community.

    Biggest reason is that Microsoft refuses to cross platform with Sony and for xb1 to pc the game needs to be on the Microsoft store (won’t happen LOL)

    Either way if people like it enough on console it would probably drive them to playing the pc version for better optimization/communication

    And how is Tera doing?

    Oh yea. Not too good.

    Fragmenting players like that is so bad for an MMO.
  • BromoBromo
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,875
    Posts: 63
    Member
    3FeetOfFun wrote: »
    I don’t see a huge problem. It’s not like they could do cross-platform play anyways. They would end up doing what Tera did and have a separate pc, ps4, and xb1 community.

    Biggest reason is that Microsoft refuses to cross platform with Sony and for xb1 to pc the game needs to be on the Microsoft store (won’t happen LOL)

    Either way if people like it enough on console it would probably drive them to playing the pc version for better optimization/communication

    And how is Tera doing?

    Oh yea. Not too good.

    Fragmenting players like that is so bad for an MMO.

    @3FeetForFun You’re coming off of a bit aggressive dude. This is just a discussion. I don’t understand the hate PC players have for console gaming. I love em both.
  • TheChaosLegendTheChaosLegend
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 7,925
    Posts: 850
    Member
    3FeetOfFun wrote: »
    I don’t see a huge problem. It’s not like they could do cross-platform play anyways. They would end up doing what Tera did and have a separate pc, ps4, and xb1 community.

    Biggest reason is that Microsoft refuses to cross platform with Sony and for xb1 to pc the game needs to be on the Microsoft store (won’t happen LOL)

    Either way if people like it enough on console it would probably drive them to playing the pc version for better optimization/communication

    And how is Tera doing?

    Oh yea. Not too good.

    Fragmenting players like that is so bad for an MMO.

    Last I remember it was doing quite well on PS4. I mean it’s PC community was already (pretty much) dead so it’s only been beneficial to their game
  • BromoBromo
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,875
    Posts: 63
    Member
    I don’t see a huge problem. It’s not like they could do cross-platform play anyways. They would end up doing what Tera did and have a separate pc, ps4, and xb1 community.

    Biggest reason is that Microsoft refuses to cross platform with Sony and for xb1 to pc the game needs to be on the Microsoft store (won’t happen LOL)

    Either way if people like it enough on console it would probably drive them to playing the pc version for better optimization/communication

    (This has been brought up a couple times in the suggestions section but got buried relatively quickly)

    @TheChaosLegend Sorry I had no idea it was brought up. I actually enjoy the idea, too.
  • RekkazanRekkazan
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 5,675
    Posts: 561
    Member
  • 3FeetOfFun3FeetOfFun
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 5,570
    Posts: 355
    Member
    3FeetOfFun wrote: »
    I don’t see a huge problem. It’s not like they could do cross-platform play anyways. They would end up doing what Tera did and have a separate pc, ps4, and xb1 community.

    Biggest reason is that Microsoft refuses to cross platform with Sony and for xb1 to pc the game needs to be on the Microsoft store (won’t happen LOL)

    Either way if people like it enough on console it would probably drive them to playing the pc version for better optimization/communication

    And how is Tera doing?

    Oh yea. Not too good.

    Fragmenting players like that is so bad for an MMO.

    Last I remember it was doing quite well on PS4. I mean it’s PC community was already (pretty much) dead so it’s only been beneficial to their game

    I'm not being aggressive bro.

    It's doing well on the ps4, yeah. But is that what you want maple to be? A ps4 game?
  • kaitoooooohkaitooooooh
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 1,190
    Posts: 24
    Member
    FF14, Tera, and ESO have all fared pretty well on console ^^ they both support keyboards from Bluetooth or USB and while not ideal have software keyboards. The gameplay doesn't look like it'd be difficult to play on gamepad either :) I'd love to be able to play GMS2 on the PS4 ^^
    Bromo
  • 3FeetOfFun3FeetOfFun
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 5,570
    Posts: 355
    Member
    edited 9:47PM April 19, 2018
    FF14, Tera, and ESO have all fared pretty well on console ^^ they both support keyboards from Bluetooth or USB and while not ideal have software keyboards. The gameplay doesn't look like it'd be difficult to play on gamepad either :) I'd love to be able to play GMS2 on the PS4 ^^

    You are all missing the key point here.

    You can't fragment an mmo like this. It will lead to exactly this: Tera, ff, and eso all did well on ps4, but the pc game was a fail.

    I don't want ms2 to be a ps4 game, because then youre stunting creativity. Not only that, but nexon would have to remove the custom nx, you can make, since the ps4 has a strict no ingame marketplace rule.
  • RekkazanRekkazan
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 5,675
    Posts: 561
    Member
    3FeetOfFun wrote: »
    FF14, Tera, and ESO have all fared pretty well on console ^^ they both support keyboards from Bluetooth or USB and while not ideal have software keyboards. The gameplay doesn't look like it'd be difficult to play on gamepad either :) I'd love to be able to play GMS2 on the PS4 ^^

    You are all missing the key point here.

    You can't fragment an mmo like this. It will lead to exactly this: Tera, ff, and eso all did well on ps4, but the pc game was a fail.

    I don't want ms2 to be a ps4 game, because then youre stunting creativity. Not only that, but nexon would have to remove the custom nx, you can make, since the ps4 has a strict no ingame marketplace rule.

    UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM FFXIV IS DOING COMPLETELY WELL ON PS4 AND PC? Like, back around Oct in an interview it had 10 million subs worldwide and Yoshi P hasn't even given us an updated number

    As much as I personally don't think that a console release on PS4 would particularly help Maplestory 2, I think using Final Fantasy XIV as an example is a HORRIBLE choice considering it is literally Square's biggest success story right now. Yeah sure the launch of 1.0 was terrible but you're completely forgetting about the entirety of how 2.0 aka A Realm Reborn was remade and how it's become a huge success and it managed to be open on PS3, PS4, PC, and Mac simultaneously without any problems during the end of Heavensward (Mostly because we can all access the same servers without any exclusivity for the region theyre in. Basically crossplay is real and it is out there). Sure PS3 support is now dead, but FFXIV functions well enough the way it is with having both PS4 & PC versions. For example, my boyfriend plays on PS4 just fine, and I play on PC? We're both in the same guild, play together regularly, everything. You can't even tell he's on PS4 unless you're another PS4 player, in which it'll display his PSN account when you examine him.

    But really, I don't know much about Tera on PS4, will never bother, and I've never really tried ESO either, but XIV is doing absolutely fine, if not beyond that, especially considering it's apparently #2 on the MMO rankings for most countries.
    cyuubii
  • RekkazanRekkazan
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 5,675
    Posts: 561
    Member
    Seriously though, I could write probably a decent sized essay on why I don't think MS2 should be console but more importantly I'm wondering how it was assumed that the PC version of XIV is dead or... more importantly, separated from the PS4 version in a way other than the fact that you have to have a separate license to play the PS4 Version and the PC version...
  • MatboksenMatboksen
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 2,690
    Posts: 279
    Member
    They could just make a console only MapleStory 2, sort of like MapleStoryM on phones.
  • MushMush
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 2,380
    Posts: 105
    Member
    edited 5:28AM April 20, 2018
    3FeetOfFun wrote: »
    Bromo wrote: »
    @3FeetOfFun @Kitsuhime Whyyyyyy???

    But MS2 won't run on consoles.
    Nexon will have to downgrade MS2 inorder to have it run on even the PS4.

    You're wrong on that one, PS4 is equal to a 2016 mid-range gaming PC, which is way more than enough to play MS2 considering Integrated Intel GFX can play it.

    I'm a bit on the fence on that one, but the more players the more people to support MS2.
    Considering how it failed in Korea, we really need as many players for the Global version.
    cyuubii
  • JonnJonn
    Maplestory 2 Rep: 2,325
    Posts: 209
    Member
    MapleStory 2 on console would be cool but I don't want them to waste time developing it on a platform they are unfamiliar with. I would rather have them focus on PC. And given that everyone has a PC that can run Maple it would be a downgrade.
    RekkazanTheChaosLegend